Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

unknown Japanese deocument

Article about: Hello everyone I hope I am putting this in the right section. I found a smallish cache of personal documents and military documents dating back from about 1942-1960. Most of the documents ta

Question unknown Japanese deocument

Hello everyone I hope I am putting this in the right section. I found a smallish cache of personal documents and military documents dating back from about 1942-1960. Most of the documents talk about us and Philippines army. What I need help with is this letter, which I think is written in Japanese, I am thinking this due to the person being deployed in Japan and other places.I do apologize if this is not written in Japanese. Other that the letter I also found a map of "Itsukushima". Along with lots of photos (which i'll post latter), and what I believe is a Japanese writing box. So am just hoping someone knows what this letter says, if anyone need more or clearer pictures don't hesitate to ask.

From
    Shortbuss55

I wonder who the addressee on the envelope, a chap apparently named "MacArthur" could have possibly been......????
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Would be interesting to see the map. Is it a military map, or a civilian map. There was many japanese soldiers in mindanao in ww2, but most of the military bunkers and tunnels are overgrown so finding them today after 70 years is a close to impossible task.

?

The paper is for a freebe at mama san's house of beauty and hardware in Tokyo.

moved to the Japanese Forum
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

It is a letter addressed to:
    マッカーサー元帥閣下
    Makkāsā gensui kakka
    His Excellency Marshal MacArthur

The letter writer refers to himself as
    一学生
    ichi gakusei
    One Student

Japanese letters generaly end with naming the addressee, then the letter writer (image #2).
    He opens with saying something like "[To] the great general-marshal [gensui], his Excellency MacArthur, One Studet sends this letter ...." And although he is "One Student", his handwriting is mature and kanji are well formed.

I'm not good enough to read the content of the letter. Maybe Nick Komiya will opine.

--Guy

P.S. The letter is not dated, so I looked at the postmark; unfortunately I could not read the date. The letter was sent from
    広島県 県内
    Hiroshima-ken Ken'nai
    Hiroshima Prefecture [Within the Prefecture]

Via the
    外事部、經由
    Gaiji-bu Keiyu
    Via Foreign Affairs Section

To:

D. Mac Arthur

P.P.S. If that is a 30-sen stamp, it is 1946-47

It's a very polite and humbly written letter, pleading General Douglas MacArthur to help free his friends held captive in Russia. It is written on official Hiroshima Prefectural government paper, so he must have been recommended at city hall to write to the occupation forces as a last resort. He must have been referring to his fellow university students, who had to cut short their studies to go to war and were POWs in Siberia. As was the case of Germans, many died there and survivors got returned in 1955/56. This was in violation of the Potsdam Declaration, which assured the return of surrendering Japanese soldiers to their families. About 473 thousand soldiers were held there for forced labor, some as long as 11 years and 60 thousand died there.