Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?

Article about: This is a strange one. It looks like it's a military sword of some description but the oriental equivalent to ersatz. It has a character on the blade and the guard if made of sheet pressed s

Default Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?

This is a strange one. It looks like it's a military sword of some description but the oriental equivalent to ersatz. It has a character on the blade and the guard if made of sheet pressed steel painted dark green. Any ideas as to origin or date? I'm thinking Chinese ww2 but not sure. Not Japanese but did not know where to post this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?   Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?  

Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?   Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?  

?

19th century Chinese "Oxtail Dao". They were more of a militia weapon rather than military, and a nice piece to have in a collection.

Great. I picked it up in a junk shop about ten years ago but never had a clue to what it was. Do you know what the stamp on the blade might be? I presume it is a maker or mark of origin but not sure. Thanks

Or is it a reign mark. I've looked up these on the internet and some seem to have reign marks.

Quote by Bonecollector View Post
    Or is it a reign mark. I've looked up these on the internet and some seem to have reign marks.
    Or, is it hangul?

It does not look Chinese to me.

Ah thank you, so it may be a Korean sword. Do you know what date it may be?

No, not Korean either. That is no hangul.

Any ideas where it is from? Is it Vietnamese? I've always thought wartime as it is well made but looks "ersatz". The pommel is formed of shaped sheet steel and so is the guard. It's heavy, solid and very sharp.

DaveR sounds like he knows his swords, so I'd stick with what he says.

After looking at Google Images, I concur that yours is not made as well as what can be seen .... but then again, yours might have quite a few miles on it.

I've seen images of Chinese soldiers carrying large sabres while fighting the Japanese. Here's a GREAT link about that. [Caution! Some graphic images of Chinese executioners at work.]
    [....of the two Chinese executioners shown below, one is holding what looks -- upon closer scrutiny -- a civilian katana.]

This guy has a nice write-up on the Ox Tail Sword here.

Another good site "China's other swords during WWII."

Leads to Shanghai police confiscated swords in 1925.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?   Unknown sword Chinese or Vietnamese?  

Great info. Thanks Guy . Dave did seem confident and my gut feeling was Chinese. Maybe the character was put on at a later date after it being captured or sold. Anyway thanks for everyone's input and your useful info.