Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

USN and Japanese Trench Art.

Article about: Hi Rich , any chance of a look at the markings on the tray please ?

?

Default Re: USN and Japanese Trench Art.

Hi Rich , any chance of a look at the markings on the tray please ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Default Re: USN and Japanese Trench Art.

I'll try to remember to find it again. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Hey guys. I have just seen a set of four of these shell cups as well and I was wondering if anyone knew who made these? Were they sake cups made by Japanese sailors / soldiers or were they made by Americans using captured Japanese shells? Or is there any way to know? Any way you look at them they are super cool!

?

These are GI made for sure

Quote by Citizensteely View Post
    Hey guys. I have just seen a set of four of these shell cups as well and I was wondering if anyone knew who made these? Were they sake cups made by Japanese sailors / soldiers or were they made by Americans using captured Japanese shells? Or is there any way to know? Any way you look at them they are super cool!
    They were made by GI's to drink booze from and were made from a few of the countless used Japanese shell cases that littered every battle site. Making shotglasses from shell cases is a Long time tradition by the soldiers and sailors in wartime and peacetime from most all of the sides. They're quick and easy to make and the materials to make them are everywhere. Depending on the amount of spare time and the tools available, Some of them can get Really elaborate and artistic! Germans, in particular, were notorious for making shotglasses. Take a look through these 2 threads, for examples of German made shotglasses.
    German Shotglasses...and lots Of them!
    German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Great items! from what I understand,Navy machinists were quite adept at modifying items to sell for an extra buck including modifying bayonets into fighting knives using Plexiglas from aircraft windshields to make grips that could have any thing from a photo of a pinup Girl to a fellas Best Gal visible through the grip, and Ash trays or desk sets and lamps all made from scrounged equipment A neat collecting field in its own right! Thanks for sharing! Regards,Geoff

Wow thanks for all the thoughtful answers! I really appreciate it. Wow Wagriff, those are outstanding shot glasses!! I had no idea there were such things. As Geoff says, a fascinating area of collecting. I love the very personal nature of trench art and I thank you for sharing a new twist on it with us!

?

I have a German shell ashtray made and marked as a comerative to a unit. Rich A. in Pa.

Well, post it up and let's have a look,Rich!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Found it! Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USN and Japanese Trench Art.   USN and Japanese Trench Art.  

USN and Japanese Trench Art.   USN and Japanese Trench Art.  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast