Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vet Broughtback Hinomaru Yosegaki and Japanese Battle Flags

Article about: Brought some of my old flags out of storage today. Three of them were brought back by my fiancées grandfather, although we are not sure where he got them. The other was purchased from Dr Mik

These are gorgeous displays! What was the average price that you pay to get them framed? I cant wait to get them displayed!

T

Hello T, For me they were a bit pricey around $ 250 US but about half of the price was the fact that I used Archive glass and acid free matting.I look at it as my contribution to the community because they will eventually belong to someone else.If I have any say so it will be for someone who I feel will be a caretaker but if not then someone who is learning will not do as much damage unintentionally I will also add the info on a document in a zip-loc bag to the rear of the frame with the kind translations from Guy and Nick and Mike B's wonderful input, and all who so generously share info, so that it is not just a "Japanese Thing" in a frame! I'm just looking forward to being able to begin the "War Room" so I can surround myself with all these things without the TV, telephone and every day BS for a few hours in the evening! G.

Default Veteran Bring Back Items

Geoff-
    The last image of the framed senninbari with bank note is very nice! That is a terrific touch. Your framer really is a "keeper".

MichaelB

MAP
    ?

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    ....they will eventually belong to someone else.If I have any say so it will be for someone who I feel will be a caretaker ......I'm just looking forward to being able to begin the "War Room"....
    Just a note...I am an already a "caretaker" and have a war room.....just hinting.....LoL!

Great job. They look beautiful.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I"ll keep that in mind!! You guys!!!!...

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    I agree with Stu about Michaels I get a heads up when they have a 70% sale and my framing lady gives me a heads up! here are a few she has done for me.She is very patient with my projects because I am very particular about my ideas.so if you find a good framer let them know how much you appreciate them. They will go over and above the usual projects! Regards,Geoff
    Those are gorgeous displays Geoff!
    T

I have a question about a silk flag when it is in the frame under glass hanging on the wall and this is why I do not have my Japanese flag displayed yet.. the question is what is used to support the flag? Is it wedged between two pices of glass, is it held up with something that is tacky to the touch, is it stapled to the flag and backing, is it sewn to the backing?
    We have a hobby lobby near by and I did get a price for different options but I do not want to damage the flag in any way.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hello Marty-
    Those are all great questions and each could create a problem for your flag. Flags should never be placed directly against glass when framed. This can cause moisture to gather and create mold/mildew or might become a nice environment to shelter bugs. You always want a space between the flag and the glass so that air may circulate. A knowledgeable framer will place spacers in the frame to accomplish this. The flag should be mounted upon an acid free board and may either be taped to it by using acid free tape or may be sewn to the backing. Sewing sounds counter intuitive, however, when done by someone who knows what they are doing is quite often the method of choice used by museums to secure their items. Taping on the other hand will not generally cause any kind of issues to the material of your flag, but may loose its ability to hold the flag in place over time. I hope that this helps you out a bit. Let me know if you have other questions or concerns and I will try and answer those for you or you can PM me.

MichaelB

Sorry I am late getting back to this thread. Thank you Michael for the info, that is very sound advice. Hobby lobby's framing people are/we're going to use an acid free backing and use acid free sticky tabs or tape.
    My apologies for high jacking this thread with my question. Should have started one in the preservation section.
    This is the flag in question with shrine marking.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vet Broughtback Hinomaru Yosegaki and Japanese Battle Flags  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2