MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wakizashi tsuba for Phil

Article about: Phil had asked if the tsuba on my sons wakizashi was signed. I regret to say it is not. It is still a cool one but I can not figure out if the motif are waves.I am not sure because there is

Ok, I am throwing this out there with my limited knowledge(very limited) of tsuba's, could this tsuba being unsigned come out of the Akao school? The school was in the Echizen province, the wakizashi was made there. Just a guess.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Default Choshu

Here is one from Choshu
    Attached Images Attached Images Wakizashi tsuba for Phil 

Your tsuba is a bit younger than the blade. It is unusual but not impossible for fittings to be made in the same area as a blade. However, through several hundred years and a few remounts, that fact can not be guaranteed.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Learning curve for me. Bob any idea of the age of the tsuba?
    Marty

Hi Marty-
    Tsuba in most cases need to be studied in hand to note the material and construction. The design work could be 17th or 18th century. This is a guess but the piece does not display great age. Swprds and fittings like any commodity were bought and sold. This continued into the 20th century. There is a incorrect theory that any old blade found in military mounts is an "ancestoral" blade. Nothing could be farther from fact. Some Japanese officers bought an old blade from a sword dealer and had it placed in military mounts to continue the code of bushido. Older blades also cut better than a factory made blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2