Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?

Article about: Hello all, Extremely lightweight hat, feels like cardboard or similar. It even lighter than other 'real' pith helmets I have had. Appears to have had a star or similar to the front at one po

Here's a repro version of the Type 98 version 1 pith helmet made in Japan; currently the best on the market.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?   Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?  

Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?   Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 10-10-2016 at 07:44 PM.

?

Nick, here are some quick photos of most of my army pith helmets excluding British safari style. There's room of improvement so let me know how these look.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?   Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?  

?

This is the variation that has a waterproof coating.

?

Side & top vent

?

This is a very unusual variation. It seems to use use recycled fabric. Upon close inspection you can make out a textile pattern. Uncertain if it's " cottage industry, late war or " in country " made.

?

Another unusual variation. Hard to judge true exterior color. Might of been white or tan originally

Thanks for the photos, Jareth. This gives us excellent coverage of the Type 98 variants. Is the first one without a legible arsenal label with date?
    I might crop some photos and adjust brightness, but those photos are just fine, thanks.
    We only need a Type 5 to show the complete line up. Up till the 1938 model, the sun helmets were produced in 3 sizes and had a different liner system. I've got line drawings of army sun helmets that go further back than the Type 5, which had 3 vent holes on each side, so this will be a very comprehensive evolution story article.

?

Last for today

- - ------- - -

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Last for today
    & another unusual variation. I've never seen or had a chance to own a type 5. Even a period photo would be neat.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    This one comes with a hat. "Only" $80

-Guy
    Many thanks Guy,
    Last edited by christek; 12-27-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Quote by christek View Post
    Many thanks Guy, I'm having trouble finding this linked example. I'm definitely interested as the initial one I was after fell through.

Thanks again!
    Sorry Chris,

Try this link.

--Guy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast