Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What the Heck is This?

Article about: This came in that ammunition chest I just posted. It reminds me of the device Ken Watanabe was wearing before that night attack in "Letters from Iwo Jima". There are no markings on

Default What the Heck is This?

This came in that ammunition chest I just posted. It reminds me of the device Ken Watanabe was wearing before that night attack in "Letters from Iwo Jima". There are no markings on it and it appears to be made of light gray wool
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What the Heck is This?  

?

Looks like a bandage or a compress. Does anyone have an IJA first aid manual with illustrations?

Quote by zachb View Post
    Looks like a bandage or a compress. Does anyone have an IJA first aid manual with illustrations?
    Interesting, would a bandage be made of wool? The thing is larger than it appears to be as well

I wonder if it could be a chest pad used by the gunner? Was there such a thing? The gunner in the attached image seems to be wearing something like a jerkin or vest.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What the Heck is This?  

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    I wonder if it could be a chest pad used by the gunner? Was there such a thing? The gunner in the attached image seems to be wearing something like a jerkin or vest.

--Guy
    I've never heard of such a thing but maybe? It is padded somewhat.

?

Maybe an oddly thick, uncomfortable loin cloth? I am sure there were a few ascetics in the IJA ranks.

Tom

?

Would it not more likely be some form of back pad, than a chest pad, for carrying heavy equipment? Maybe just a privately acquired piece.

No real idea, just throwing it out there!
    Bob

How big is it anyway?

It's apx 13 X 14 inches with the tails being about 45 inches long. In looking at it more closely it may be made from a wool blanket?
    It may have been a back pad for carrying that ammunition chest it came with.

?

The pad suggestions seem to make sense given the dimensions.