Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet

Article about: Not at all familiar with Japanese items. I was given this helmet several years ago and I have not had a chance to research it. I believe it to be a Type 90 Imperial Japanese helmet..but corr

Default What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet

Not at all familiar with Japanese items. I was given this helmet several years ago and I have not had a chance to research it. I believe it to be a Type 90 Imperial Japanese helmet..but correct me if I'm wrong please... The star was painted red but based on research I have seen that this was not done.

I am curious about the Japanese characters that are stitched into the cloth of the head band.

I was hoping that the members here could assist me as I try to record the items in my collection for my son.

Thanks everyone for your assistance..

Best regards

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet   What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet  

What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet   What is the translation of this stitching in a Japanese helmet  

Hmmmm... I do not doubt this is authentic ....
    The soldier stitched the “ki” キ backwards.

If read from left to right it is タツマキ (竜巻) and means tornado/whirlwind.
    If read from right to left it is キマツタ ki- Matsuta (キ 松田). Matsuta/Matsuda is a surname .... don’t know about the キ preface.

Maybe Nick can weigh in?

—Guy

Guy,

Thank you for the assessment.. This is a lot more information than I would have been able to obtain...

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Guy,

Thank you for the assessment.. This is a lot more information than I would have been able to obtain...

Smitty
    Hi Smitty,

When were you in the 187? I remember 3/187 across the street from us (2/503) back in 1981.

--Guy

Guy,

I was a Rakkasan from 1984-1986, C Company 3/187. Our Bn HQ was right next to the Air Assault School. 3rd 4th and 5th Battalions of the 187th made up 3rd Brigade. 2nd Battalion was in Panama at the time..

Spent 22 years as a infantryman.. retired.. became a firefighter/paramedic...retired...became a lesson writer/instructor at the US Army Sergeant's Major Academy...and now I am the curator for the US Army NCO Museum at Fort Bliss, Texas...

If I recall by the time I got to Ft Campbell, 327 and 503 had moved to the other side of post, but I may be wrong.. I do recall on the far side of the Air Assault school was a Signal unit (501st?? maybe) and on the far side of the 187th area down the street was 229 attack helicopter and 158 or 159 aviation...But it has been many years now so I may be mistaken.

Had a great time at Ft Campbell.. Week of Eagles, ORE's, rapid deployments, West Point augmentation, and of course I recall the terrible tragedy with the Gander Plane crash returning from the Sinai.. We (C Co. 3/187) were at Ft Greely, Alaska for Northern Warfare Training when the crash happened. We were placed on funeral details upon return to Ky. I remember it like it was yesterday...

When I left Campbell I was assigned to 6/502nd (Berlin Brigade).. another great assignment... So I kept my 101st lineage so to speak even though the Berlin Brigade was a separate unit and we wore the Berlin patch...

Thanks for your Service Guy...and thanks again for the translation assistance..

Smitty