Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?

Article about: What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees 軍属 to carry swords? Is it true that certain patterns were specifically designed for those people? Thanks!

Closer-ups of the tassels. Still too fuzzy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

Guy, your Takayama, if he was indeed Gunzoku and one of the various army equivalent ranks you mentioned, that means that he was a Souninkan Gunzoku , a lower grade Koutou-kan. And the Japanese caption on the Gunzoku group photo is all correct. His shoulder strap confirms him as Chokunin-kan, a general class, so he would be wearing army general's tassels. His arm patch would say whether he was first class (Lt. Gen) or second class (major Gen.). Gunzoku ranks were organized as follows in terms of insignia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?   What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

I don't think length is going to be as standardized as we first thought. I've laid out a few of mine and there is considerable differences, even from Russ's ones.

Company grade: 54cm
    Field grade & Gunzuko & 1 Navy: 46cm
    3 Navy: 43cm

In my case, my Gunzuko was longer than 3 of my Navy tassels, where Russ's were the other way around.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?   What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

For whatever it's worth, here are the army officer sword tassel dimensions from the official announcement
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

Comparing the spec descriptions of army and navy tassels the army described the color as 茶色 (brown) whereas the navy described it as 濃茶色 dark brown. So the navy did intend theirs to be darker brown than the army's reddish brown color.

If you end up having nothing to do, try counting the strands of thread that form the bushy end of the army tassels. Regardless of rank, it should have exactly 84 strands according to army regulations. 

See here for the Gunzoku rank patches worn on the right chest

?

Hi Nick,

Is there any reference I can look at online that explains who were Sounin-kan? Any notable names? Roles?
    I can hardly find any information on Gunzoku.

Thanks,

Danger

In the military, those in the ranks of Lt to Col were Souninkan. See here 奏任官 - Wikipedia. Sorry, but I cannot help you with English references, as I don't use any.

An update to George Trotter’s story. He definitely recalls the Japanese teacher saying the tassel was blue and brown, which fits Nick’s statement about college educated civilians carrying appropriate corresponding rank tassels.

Shown below is army memo 5237 of 13th Oct. 1943, calling upon Gunzoku for austerity. The last item tries to discourage Gunzoku from being driven by vanity to purchase new swords. It said "Swords should be newly purchased only by those in real need of them, having to work in war zones, etc. Those already in possession of swords or shikitoh (command/ceremonial sword) and not wearing them, should not idly squander them, but proactively make them available to those in real need of swords.".

You can see from this also that officer swords were in serious shortage at the time.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 01-19-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast