Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

Article about: Hi all, Ok, here's the deal. I have been an avid fan of katana's for a long time and own some proper katana's myself. I think I can spot a fake one but I have had no real experience with Wor

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    ... Japanese officer swords were never marked with arsenal stamps....
    This stamp is . If it was meant to be an abbreviation for Meiji , it is incorredt. The appropriate abbreviation for Meiji would be .

As far as I know (which is not very far!), no arsenal used as its stamp.

--Guy

?

Welcome Gnork,
    Also thanks for taking the effort to sign up and re-visit this thread, it is becoming more interesting!
    This new sword of your friends, only confirms my feelings back in post #13.
    It is in my opinion definitely NOT a modern or recent reproduction.
    The guard (tsuba) on both swords appears to be a WW2 civilian issue. The only notable difference between the blades is the length of the fuller (bo hi) or groove in the blade. This second one has it longer and closer to the collar (habiki).
    If you are able to provide pictures as mentioned, perhaps a better judgement could be made.

Stamps on blades in the same region as these, are not unheard of, although this stamp looks familiar, it isn't the Nagoya stamp i believe. I will check my Fuller & Gregory's to see what i can find.

My leaning so far, is towards a possible ''colonial' made sword under Japanese occupation.
    Ern

Quote by stegel View Post

Stamps on blades in the same region as these, are not unheard of, although this stamp looks familiar, it isn't the Nagoya stamp i believe. I will check my Fuller & Gregory's to see what i can find.
    Correct. The Nagoya stamp was , an abbreviation for 名古屋. Additionally, I have zero confidence that the tsuba is a Japanese WW2-era civilian product; there is a casting rim along the top edge of the mimi (as the sword is held), and the face of the mimi is just to coarse.

-- Unidentified "Ji" stamp
    -- Nagoya arsenal stamp

--Guy

?

WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type]

As far as arsenal stamps on officer swords go... there have been a few, although not very common. They are however found on the tang, not the blade in Japanese swords. The ones found on blades are beleived to be colonial territories issue and manufacture.
    Here's a few i could find quickly... the one on the right with the nagoya stamp is a star stamped gendiato blade.
    i will look for more.
    Ern

edit- just added another
    Last edited by stegel; 11-13-2014 at 01:20 AM.

?

On a side note here is a few pics of Arsenal stamps on the fittings of type 98 officer swords.
    Ern
    WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

?

WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeOK here some pictures of the Tang, witch has no markings on it. And the Tsuba, also with no markings.

?

Thanks for the photos Gnork, and good call on the tsuba Guy!
    I found one of mine and agree that the finish is much better than we see here.

All i can say about these two swords is that they are definitely not Japanese or WW2 NCO for that matter, as was
    proposed by your collector/dealer contact. I do agree that swords were made outside of Japan in the occupied regions.
    I'll go as far to say that it is possible that this is one of them and not a recent reproduction and that is about it.
    So overall it is a 'Japanese Style' sword.
    Keeping that in mind, i hope you did not over spend on this.

Fascinating thread for a guy like me who would love a WW2 Katana. Thanks to all for the education.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3