Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Wood Box Translation

Article about: I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the writing on the box lid means. Thanks,Rich A. in Pa.

?

Default Wood Box Translation

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the writing on the box lid means. Thanks,Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wood Box Translation   Wood Box Translation  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

The box was for a Type 98 wearable stereoscopic viewer. Basically a predecessor of today's VR headset. The second photo shows manufacturing date as 1943.

The viewer was used for analysis of aerial photographs, the most common types of viewers being the two static types in the photo below.

In February 1938, the IJA decided to develop a wearable model and Nikon was commissioned to do the prototyping, which was done between May and July '38. The prototype was further evaluated at the field artillery school between September and December of 1938 and was found to be suitable for use. After some years of use as a provisional type (model on probation) it was decided to seek official type recognition for the optics in February 1940, when it was named "Type 98 wearable stereoscopic viewer".

The paper below was prepared for the type approval application and explained development history and specs. Basically it worked like eyeglasses with a knob between the two lenses, which adjusted pupillary distance. The whole kit including the wooden box weighed 4 kg.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wood Box Translation   Wood Box Translation  

?

Thanks! Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.