Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Would like feedback & opinions on this Japanese flag cut from a fighter...

Article about: Hi all. I'd like to get some opinions on this Japanese flag that was cut from a US fighter plane. The owner's father was stationed on an aircraft carrier. I can't seem to find anything to co

?

I've always felt it was hand painted & certainly not a decal. I'm fairly certain it was a stencil & either painted was sprayed on or hand stippled. The way the rays edges are soft points to a stencil being used

Can you provide some flag size and rivet-to-river measurements

?

Quote by gratefulwon View Post
    Can you provide some flag size and rivet-to-river measurements
    Would like feedback & opinions on this Japanese flag cut from a fighter...

Thanks for taking these. So any fighter aircraft you are looking for is going to have a 1 inch (25 mm) rivet pitch in the locations near the cockpit where the kill signs are normally placed!

Final Question - outside in normal sunlight does this color look like a USN Blue typically used after 1943?? ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue

I know that screen brightness and other minor factors can affect color image and that original artifacts can fade due to age and storage conditions - but we got what we got to work with

Using the color FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 15042 does it look close?

?

Quote by gratefulwon View Post
    Final Question - outside in normal sunlight does this color look like a USN Blue typically used after 1943?? ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue... Using the color FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 15042 does it look close?
    There is a decent amount of "age" over top of the paint but I would say yes, it is blue. Most would say it is black, but if you look at the "blue" swatch at the link you provided, the blue is just a short distance from being black anyway.

I totally agree with your statement about the darkness of color. The ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue is a very dark color, approaching black.
    Glad to hear that the evidence all lines up on your "fun item".

BTW the USS Langley (CVL-27) has a great history and you should read up on it. Don't be confused by the "USS Langley" name (the first carrier CV-1) with the one the vet fly off of , as the original Langeley was long since converted back from a carrier and sunk in combat (Febr 1942) by the time the plane that bore this flew into harms way!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4