MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Japanese Senninbari Thousand Stitch Belt Translation

Article about: I'm thinking about purchasing this Thousand Stitch Belt and was wondering if someone could translate the kanji. This belt does not appear to be a purchased pattern that women would stitch up

Cool WW2 Japanese Senninbari Thousand Stitch Belt Translation

I'm thinking about purchasing this Thousand Stitch Belt and was hoping someone could translate the kanji. This belt does not appear to be a purchased pattern that women would stitch upon but a homemade\handmade or maybe a blank purchased senninbari. It is not as elaborate as some of the other belts with the pre-printed patterns. The belt is made of cotton and the kanji ink looks to have smeared, likely as a result of humidity and from being worn close to the body in the field.

On the left side of the belt is a stitched Hinomaru connected to a pattern on the right side by three horizontal rows of stitching. The pattern on the right, is in the shape of a squares with X's inside. Depending on the way it is viewed, one can also observe a large square in the middle comprised of eight triangles- this can be easily seen by staring at the pattern)

In addition to the kanji translation, I was curious as to the meaning (if any) of this pattern on the right side and why it was incorporated into this belt.

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks, D.

Front

Back

kanji

stitch pattern on right side of belt
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-29-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Triumphant return is what it says. The cross-in-square patterns on the right side, I think are supposed to be the famous Z naval signal flags associated with Admiral Togo

Thanks Nick for your translation and assessment. I have searched online for Marshal-Admiral The Marquis Tōgō Heihachirō Z flag and It sure looks like the Z flag to me. Thanks for pointing this out. I have purchased the senninbari and I'm awaiting its arrival.

An actual Japanese pre Pacific War "Z" flag, (Z for Zulu) Although only a signal flag, the "Z" flag was a most powerful and inspirational symbol to the Japanese people. Admiral Togo first raised the Z flag in 1905 to signal the attack on the Russian Baltic Fleet at the Battle of Tsushima. The analogy being that it is the last letter of the alphabet, and that no one else was coming to help them. The same flag was flown from the flagship Nagato to signal the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Here is what I have found on Wikipedia regarding the Z flag.

At the Battle of Tsushima on May 27, 1905, Admiral Tōgō raised a Z flag on his flagship, the Mikasa. By prearrangement, this flag flown alone meant, "The fate of the Empire rests on the outcome of this battle. Let each man do his utmost." The Battle of Tsushima was one of the most important naval battles of history.

Click link below for interesting article on the Marshal-Admiral The Marquis Tōgō Heihachirō Z Flag:

Z flag - Wikipedia
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.