Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ww2 japanese sword I accidently bought on ebay

Article about: I saw this sword list as a new listing and she had a buy it now and I don't know why I put 300 hundred in it, did I just screw myself? I didn't think she would accept it. Here are pics she h

MAP
    ?

Quote by MrPotts View Post
    Considered bad condition?
    I think the condition is good overall. Some wear and tear which you would expect. From what I can see the blade looks fine but I don't think we have seen a clear shot of both sides of blade yet. I could have missed it though.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Interesting...amazing what you guys know

I don't think I posted the other side of the blade but it's pretty good

?

Considered bad condition?
    No, not at all, but it's not up to the level of a 700 USD sword as you mentioned in post 27 above. Certainly 500 and perhaps 600 if an appropriate level of TLC is applied. Either way you got a good deal.

Factory finishes are usually quite sturdy whereas over paints are not. That white will likely come off with a minimal application of a damp rag and some vigorous scrubbing. If not PM me and I'll suggest a couple other options.

Regards,
    Stu

MAP
    ?

Interesting...amazing what you guys know
    I'm like a parrot. I just repeat what the experts here have taught me to say....LoL

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

you are a wise man Map!

MAP
    ?

you are a wise man Map!
    That's what I keep trying to tell everyone.

haha....

MAP, do you have any Japanese swords?

MAP
    ?

haha....

MAP, do you have any Japanese swords?
    4 of them that I picked up here and there. It's not an area I know much about.

One is like yours but in worse shape with finger prints etched into the blade unfortunately. A late war (not last ditch) with wood handle, an Officers and another one that turned out to be a gem (for me). It's a blade that is currently undergoing a year long restoration by a gentleman highly recommended by some of the guys here after they spotted that it was an older blade. It's is handmade and cut down and mounted for army use.

The Restorer estimates it to be a blade from at least the 1400's and probably late 1300's. Here is the link:

Katana identification

I do not know what its value will be but that was not important. I just wanted to take care of something that was that old. I'm sure I will be in the red when all is said and done.

I have no room to display them so they are unfortunately tucked away in a closet. I do however have a prime spot of real estate in my War Room reserved for the one being repolished.

Michael

Thanks for sharing. I looked at the link and that is a treasure. Sounds like it's worth the year long work on it. This one I just picked up has a finger print I think on the bade, a small one. Well the way I look at it, these were made to kill people, war, symbolic whatever, it's a tool. My grandpa used to throw swords and rifles off his ship by th e hundreds. I don't like the perfect looking ones, I like the some what salty look. If it's perfect then people will think it's fake
    I don't collect these but they are interesting pieces of history and it doesn't hurt to own a few

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast