Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ww2 japanese swords up for review authentication

Article about: guys i am being offered two swords coming out of a ww2 gun collection, seller states they are both in wooden scabbards , the first is 33" , looks to be in good condition, cleaned? post

At this point, the collector's value of the swords is already destroyed. However, they are still worth $400 a piece in my opinion as tools.

Based on the fact someone else is going to look at these swords, too, I guess the $400 quoted price is the auction estimate, but not a set price. If that's the case, don't count on getting the swords for $400 each. That may not be a bad thing. Pass would be my move.

I called this guy on craigslist he said he got the swords for doing work for someone. he sold the signed one and decided he wanted to keep the other. CRAZY STORY

The guys name is pete..., he works at my favorite local gunshop thats been around for the last 50 years or so. i have been buying there since i was 18 lol. he had listed them on cl, and when i had called him i realized who i was dealing with and set up an appointment at the gunshop on saturday. pete wanted to keep one for display.
    the 'work' he did was take on a collection of firearms. he took the swords as payment. not too sure how crazy that is....

may i ask why you called pete? in hopes of buying the swords???? or just curiosity???
    i am doing my best here on the forum to share as well as learn.
    Last edited by chuck303; 03-25-2019 at 06:08 PM.

he told me on the phone he had no other military stuff and he was not a collector. not sure why he would lie and turn down potential business. if he has a gun shop why not mention that. still seems strange to me

pete also told me the same thing. i asked him if he collects or had anything ww2 era,, and he said no. he said he took the swords as payment.
    what i see is a guy that saw a potential value and took in the swords as payment.
    he works at the shop and handles quite abit for the owner. surely not a collector.

all I am saying is if he was helping a widow sell off a collection why not tell people about it? does not seem he is helping her very well.

guys this blade is going to the nthk, possibly shinsa as i have had a ton of interest and offers from major show goers attending both shows. I believe this will have no issues infront of a shinsa panel and will only further substantiate this direct veteran bringback relics authenticity. As for the kanji, When smiths make blades for a long time, they will change writing styles several times throughout their life. If they went to a shrine or sword school they would be required to write another way for instance. Even people who write kanji today can barely read the old kanji on blades. Juyo pieces are like rank 3 shinsa papers, with pink slip being 0 rank non traditional, 1 being chu chu saku, 2 ju saku, and there is a fourth as well. Kanemoto in particular would likely rank in at at least a rank 2 with natural talent, probably a rank 3 juyo by the time he was given the title.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 japanese swords up for review authentication   ww2 japanese swords up for review authentication  

The complicate part is which Kanemoto? In addition to the possibility of signature forgery, there are generations of smiths who used name Kanemoto, and in this case Magoroku (Kanemoto). Who's who? Is the signature real? Those questions only an expert can answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast