Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Japanese Winter Tunic

Article about: I would like your opinions on this WW2 Japanese Army Winter Tunic for a staff lance corporal, i had the ink stamp translated by a japanese exchange student and friend of my niece, who said t

Default WW2 Japanese Winter Tunic

I would like your opinions on this WW2 Japanese Army Winter Tunic for a staff lance corporal, i had the ink stamp translated by a japanese exchange student and friend of my niece, who said that the stamp on the tunic says its a showa 15 (dated 1940) and a size 5 and its named to a "Teramoto Takuro" of Uchida Company. I have tried to find out about the Uchida company and the only info i could find is that they were involved in the fighting on Wake island. If any members has any information on this company, and also if anyone can tell me what the strap at the back of the uniform is for, i would appreciate it.

WW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter TunicWW2 Japanese Winter Tunic

Default Re: WW2 Japanese Winter Tunic

JamieGerman44, a nice original tunic, looks to be a 98shiki Gun-i/Type 98 (1938) tunic...we dont see many Japanese items here, is it made of cotton or wool ? on the photographs it looks to be cotton....I thought cotton was for summer, and wool for winter....the strap at the rear, is a "stable" strap, and was intended to be connected around the belt to stop the weight of the bayonet from pulling the belt assembly askew ! Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 01-16-2011 at 02:21 PM.

[QUOTE=oradour;224721]JamieGerman44, a nice original tunic, looks to be a 98shiki Gun-i/Type 98 (1938) tunic...we dont see many Japanese items here, is it made of cotton or wool ? on the photographs it looks to be cotton....I thought cotton was for summer, and wool for winter....the strap at the rear, is a "stable" strap, and was intended to be connected around the belt to stop the weight of the bayonet from pulling the belt assembly askew !

Thanks for the info
    it is made of cotton, i dont know much about this tunic, but i was told it was a winter tunic

There were winter tunics made in cotton but with a thick lining in them.Just wanted to add thatcomment for help
    Eric

Its a fatigue uniform originally but also was used as winter wear

I love Japanese tunics. I wish I knew more about them, though. Yours looks really nice!

I will have to post mine. Does anyone here read Japanese?