Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Kanji Translation

Article about: Hey all, has anyone come across this particular kanji or can translate it for me? I have a real hard time with these.

I also wasnt sure if the tassels and such on this were period or not. They seem old but not sure if it makes any sense to me. I am very fresh in the sword market. I picked this up for a pretty good price and was impressed with the temper line and overall shape of the blade. I have an Emura and that is the only one I have seen with similar workmanship. The Mekugi was shattered into multiple pieces and I would assume this happened when the previous owner took it apart not knowing how to remove the handle properly. I refit it and make a new Mekugi and the fit is super tight. It looks like a tooling mark on the Habaki and I assume that was from trying to improperly remove it from the sword as it is a very tight fit. All of the 8 seppa and the tsuba all have the same numbers on them. I thought it was a nice find. Any comments or insight on this blade would be appreciated now that I have it in hand finally.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Kanji Translation   WW2 Kanji Translation  

WW2 Kanji Translation   WW2 Kanji Translation  

WW2 Kanji Translation  

A few more additional pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Kanji Translation   WW2 Kanji Translation  

WW2 Kanji Translation  

While the painted numbers sometimes match the stamped ones, I have seen several examples where they do not, and all the fittings seem to be original.

I think you're right about the rank tassel, it is from much earlier period than the shingunto. I have never seen an actual picture of a Japanese soldier carrying a shingunto with an old tassel, but I wouldn't be surprised if some did this, especially if it was from his father or something. There was a good deal of personalization practiced.

Thanks for the insight Bruce. I feel good that the hardware on this is original to the item. The fit of the pieces is just spot on. I replaced a few seppa on another blade and could not get the fit back even with peening the tsuba. I'll see if I can unearth an example of these tassels.

Is anyone aware of a forum that specializes in Japanese swords who may be able to identify the tassels?

Jerry, Ohmura called this a company grade officer tassel, and can be seen on the kyu-gunto on this page: —¤ŒR‹ŒŒR“uŒ“’èvE–³–Á Army saber "Kanesada" & "Mumei"

You are spot on Bruce. Is that for both tassels? I haven't seen anything similar to the red one though.

Jerry,
    Know of no Japanese tassel that color, plus they used that ring to hang the guntos on a belt. They didn't put tassels there. It looks woven onto the ring, so, just a guess, I'd say a G.I. wove that on free he got it.

There are other guys who know tassels. Maybe someone will jump in.

Thanks Bruce, I couldn't find anything remotely similar. A buddy of mine has a very interesting sword in his possession. I will try and post it tomorrow morning. I know it has a Colonel grade tassel on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2