Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Wakizashi added to collection

Article about: Hey gang....quite happy to have added this sword to my humble Japanese blade collection. I've been after a ww2 Wakizashi (the Katana's smaller brother) for some time and this one is just per

Default WW2 Wakizashi added to collection

Hey gang....quite happy to have added this sword to my humble Japanese blade collection.

I've been after a ww2 Wakizashi (the Katana's smaller brother) for some time and this one is just perfect. It's not mint - but I love the used look on it. If it could only tell its tales!

WW2 fittings - but was told the blade was older given the black rust on the tang. Not sure about that - looks like the blade was oil tempered. Did they do that pre-1876? I assume it was oil tempered as there is no clear temper line on the sword. Great rayskin on the handle with a little seperation on one side. Blade is nice but has a little greying on one side. Scabbard is bamboo with a nice, worn, leather combat wrap.

All in all - I'm quite happy to have this one!! I'm adding some pics of it along with all the other blades and belts that I have that are Japanese.

Cheers!

Rob

PS...Forgot to mention that there is no mei on the tang.....she's not signed...but if anyone can offer any more info....I would be much obliged!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Wakizashi added to collection   WW2 Wakizashi added to collection  

WW2 Wakizashi added to collection   WW2 Wakizashi added to collection  

Default Re: WW2 Wakizashi added to collection

More pics.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Wakizashi added to collection   WW2 Wakizashi added to collection  

Here it is added to all the blades I currently have.....

Cheers!
    Rob

Your blade appears to be an Edo period hand forged wakizashi. Unsigned blades indicate either contract or mass production. Wakizashi could be worn by individuals outside the samurai class, which led to commercial production. The concept of oil tempered blades was a 20th century inovation for the mass production of military blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for that info Bob....if you don't mind: when was the Edo period? Thanks again for your help!
    Rob

Quote by lach470 View Post
    Thanks for that info Bob....if you don't mind: when was the Edo period? Thanks again for your help!
    Rob
    Rob-
    The Edo period began at the begining of the 17th century when the Tokugawa Shogunate unified Japan for the first time in it's history. This brought on a period of peace until the end of the Tokugawa with the rise of a modern government and Westernization under the auspicous of the Emporer Meiji in 1871. At that time, the feudal system was abolished as was the samurai class and the making of swords. It is called the Edo period as the Tokugawa ruled from their home city of Edo, which is modern day Tokyo.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Many thanks for this information. It's amazing how long the Shoguns were able to rule (and isolate) Japan!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with the wakizashi.....I was also wondering if it might be a cut down sword....so I appreciate you mentioning that it's a hand forged wakizashi!

Thanks again buddy!

Rob

?

very nice Rob. i think you have a great collection of stuff. i think your buckle collection is second to none. but dont get that carried away with the swords. leave some for the rest of us lol.
    andrew

Hey! Thanks Andrew....I have to admit that I've always been attracted to these swords! When it comes to WW2 Japanese iconic equipment....it's the Katana/Wakizashi.....WW2 German inconic equipment has always been the helmet.

But no worries....won't be going too crazy with the Japanese blades! LOL!

Thanks for the thumbs up man! Glad you like it!
    Cheers!

Rob

?

Hi Rob , well done on another great find , you already know i love your collection

regards Al
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast