Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions

Article about: Hello all, I have been recently been compiling a winter uniform for display and would appreciate some feedback. I believe the tunic and pants to be both winter issue and correctly dated for

Default WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions

Hello all,

I have been recently been compiling a winter uniform for display and would appreciate some feedback. I believe the tunic and pants to be both winter issue and correctly dated for the war. I am however, unsure in regards to the shirt. The markings appear to correct for the era (although I would appreciate any assistance here). Additionally the shirt has ventilation holes that I would assume to be designed for summer. Shirt is in pretty bad shape but it was not easy to find!
    Although it still displays nice I have reservations about the leather belt, it was purchased from Japan and from a seller with a good reputation; But even if it is an old IJA belt I would assume more a barracks belt or the like and not a combat item?

Many thanks in advance for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions   WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions  

WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions   WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions  

WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions   WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions  

Rod
    ?

Nice Type3 medium sized uniform tunic dated 1944. The pants are Type 98 Size 3, dated 1943 and the shirt Is definitely IJA small sized and dated 1942. The common shirt for this outfit is collarless and has similar stamps to yours but on the exterior bottom left (if you're wearing it) side.

Taka-san will likely have a more complete knowledge of your items. I can't speak to the belt. Puttees and the field cap for this outfit are the easiest (in my experience) to find compared to the lighter uniform kit.

A couple of books that might make it easier for you are Mike Hewitt's 'Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in WW2", and Agustin Saiz's "Heitai: Japanese Infantryman, 1931 - 1945".

Good luck, Rod

Thanks for the great info Rod, much appreciated. I'll dig up some of that literature. Cheers.

Rod
    ?

You're welcome Chris!

Regards, Rod

A great start! I just picked up a service shirt for my display. Here are a few shots that will hopefully inspire you to continue. The first shot shows a fairly complete uniform with repro leather pouches. Real ammo pouches are VERY expensive. The second photo shows some items you can add. The cap is tropical but for any IJA display a wool cap is fine. Leather belts are really expensive too. The one in the photo is mint and will NOT be put on the display for fear of chewing it up. Good luck. If you find yourself in Eastern PA you should come to the Ag Hall show in Allentown. NH

WWII Enlisted uniform display for opinionsWWII Enlisted uniform display for opinions

An additional note - I see you are in Australia! Well, if you do make it to the states we can recommend some good militaria shows. I see this is a Winter display so you will most definitely want to go with a wool cap. NH