Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify

Article about: Hello, I'm new to the forum and am thankful there is one like this. I am currently in the US Navy as a Seniorchief and have been for 22 years. I followed my father as he was in both the Army

Default WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am thankful there is one like this. I am currently in the US Navy as a Seniorchief and have been for 22 years. I followed my father as he was in both the Army & the Navy. He has since passed away and the only item of his I could pull out of his second wifes clutched hands was a Samurai sword that he had. I have never had it appraised and probably should for insurance purposes. I'm a novice on collecting these types of items and was curious on the authenticity and maybe value of this sword. Thank you in advance for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify   WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify  

WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify   WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify  

Default Re: WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify

I've done a little research and found out that there are numbers on all the parts. They are all matching and are #16. The inside of the handles on the wood is also sided in a stamp or pen, not sure which. I've tried to keep it clean, but have not restored it yet as I'm not sure if it will hurt the value or not.

Bob is the guy on these but it looks like a good Japanese Army Officer's Shin-Gunto Sword to me with possible early blade but I could be wrong.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I agree with Eric. Do not do anything more than wipe the blade or you will chance losing value. You should maybe put a bit of flour on the tang and take clear photos of it this way so that someone will be able to help you with the markings. The stamps on the fittings are arsenal markings from where it was made or, assembled.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The images of the writing are not clear enough to read. The side with more kanji characters is the date the blade was made. I can read Showa 18th year, which is 1943. From what I can see presently, it appears to be a standard Japanese Army officer's sword with an arsenal machine made blade. The matching numbers on the fittings are a factory assembly number.
    What type of condition issues are your concern? I can not tell from your images. Welcome to our Forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you guys for the posts. I took your advice with the flour and took more pictures for you. Hope these are better.WWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help IdentifyWWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help IdentifyWWII Japanese Army Katana Please Help Identify

?

祐光 = Sukemitsu.
    昭和十八年八月 = 1943 August.