Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

Article about: Hey Steve, i know it doesn't really matter in this day and age but i thought i mention that in Ancient Japan it was seen as a great disrespect to hang one's swords in that way. In times of p

Default Re: WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have also never seen anything like the leather heart. It is something unique to the owner. As it has a ring, possibly it was to attach an omamori or good luck prayer from a shrine or temple. This is the only thought that came to me.
    Hi Bob and Darren, Thanks for the extra info, and thoughts on my sword. Interesting info. I also just posted the makers name. Sorry for not responding sooner, I was not getting notified when posts were made like usual.

I have looked at the paint work on the saya very, very closely, and think it is the original paint, so you think a IJNF sword? maybe? or it is an IJN special order? I thought I have also seen black saya's in pics before. The heart w/ mon is probably as you both have introduced as possible. No way to really know 100% now. I like it, it is a nice personal touch. The soldier must have been an interesting fellow.

Regards, Steve

MajorDave
    ?

I have just found this site and your post while doing some research on a Japanese Sword my Father brought back from Burma at the end of the war. It appears to be identical apart from two details, mine has the brown painted scabbard (saya) complete with bullet or shrapnel damage, and it does not have any markings on the tang.

FYI

My Father was a Major in the British Royal Tank Regiment/ Royal Armoured Corps in Burma but unfortunately he passed away when I was only 6 so I never got to ask how he came about owning the sword.

Any other information on this sword would be much appreciated.

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944   WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

Dave-
    Your sword is a typical IJA officer mounting. The brown and blu tassle indicate the owner's rank as a junior officer(2nd Lt. to Capt.). For information on the blade, post a picture of the blade tang and the length of the cutting edge of the sword. Blades are difficult to give percise information on from just pictures unless they are a factory made war time blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

nice swords guys...

Quote by MajorDave View Post

I have just found this site and your post while doing some research on a Japanese Sword my Father brought back from Burma at the end of the war. It appears to be identical apart from two details, mine has the brown painted scabbard (saya) complete with bullet or shrapnel damage, and it does not have any markings on the tang.

FYI

My Father was a Major in the British Royal Tank Regiment/ Royal Armoured Corps in Burma but unfortunately he passed away when I was only 6 so I never got to ask how he came about owning the sword.

Any other information on this sword would be much appreciated.

Dave

Hello Major Dave, welcome to the forum! You should enjoy this site very much.

Very nice sword you have. Thanks for showing it!
    Yes, it is very similar to the one I have and have shown. Yours is also an Army shin gunto sword. I think yours is a little more special than mine, being a family piece from your Father.

Godspeed to your Father, my Father, and all the Fathers and Grandfathers who saved the world from the tyranny of German and Japan.

Thanks for showing this nice sword!!

Regards, Steve
    "Dr.Ruby"

MajorDave
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Dave-
    Your sword is a typical IJA officer mounting. The brown and blu tassle indicate the owner's rank as a junior officer(2nd Lt. to Capt.). For information on the blade, post a picture of the blade tang and the length of the cutting edge of the sword. Blades are difficult to give percise information on from just pictures unless they are a factory made war time blade.
    Hi Bob

I have attached a photo of the tang with a scale measure from the tip of the blade, the only markings I can find anywhere on the sword are the numbers 5 and 2 on all the 5 parts that make up the Tsuba.

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944  

Your blade appears to be a factory made one. The numbers you refer to our parts assembly numbers.for the sword
    BOB

?

I find all this information on ww2 samurai swords absolutely fascinating, i didnt realise just how much there is to learn about the subject except to say that ever since i was a young boy i have wanted one , im nearly 55 now so i suppose i never will get one now unless i win the lottery, i can however visit the Leeds armoury where they apparently have some of the rarest blades outside of japan in the world,and also the british museum in london where some of their blades date back several hundred years. A friend local to me has three samurai blades given to him many years ago by a chap who wanted the price of a good breakfast for them. We think these blades are pretty old but we havent been able to get any info on the signatures as yet but if i can i will get photos done and you chaps should be able to help. I know that an uncle of mine was in Burma and he brought back two swords and some battle flags but no one seems to know what happened to them and hes now long passed away as most of the brothers and sisters i do have an inkling that my eldest cousin now in his seventies might just have them but god only knows where he is, ill have to do some detective work and see what turns up.This is why i enjoy this forum so much , i only wish i had known about you years ago, i have learnt so much in the short time i have been with you and i have been collecting for yrs.

Joshua Bolling
    ?

I myself was doing some research and stumbled across this thread. My dad has a sword very similar. I recorded him a while back talking about it.

(I didn't see any rules about linking to youtube. I apologize if it isn't allowed)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uMpdEkYhJF8?list=UUGQgIk33q7HmsVWB5a9dLyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

George Bolling talking about his samurai sword - YouTube

I also took a few pics of it. After I started looking into it I found out about the information being underneath the handle. We haven't taken it off yet and looked. Is it worth looking at? What history might it tell us?

WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944WWII Japanese Army Samurai Sword 1944

I'm not interested in selling it, but I'm curious about how much a sword like this is worth. Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum. From te limited pictures you have posted, you have a standard WW2 factory made blade housed in standard Imperial Japanese Army officer's mounts. I can not see all of the tassle but it appears to be brown and blue in color which would designate a company grade officer(2nd Lt. thru Captain). If the tang of the blade is signed, it would likely have a factory stamp along with the name of the man in the factory who worked on the blade. It might also be dated likely 1942-43. If you take pictures of the tang, please post your pictures with the butt end of the tang down and the point of the sword up. The kanji, if any, are read vertical from top to bottom. It is difficult at times to read them when posted horizontal or upside down. I will check out the Youtube link.
    BOB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast