Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Japanese, "Good Luck," flag

Article about: I am a novice to collecting WWII Japanese militaria. I have wanted to aquire a Japanese, "Good Luck," flag for some time, but have always thought they would be difficult to authent

Default WWII Japanese, "Good Luck," flag

I am a novice to collecting WWII Japanese militaria. I have wanted to aquire a Japanese, "Good Luck," flag for some time, but have always thought they would be difficult to authenticate. Is there anyone out there that can read Japanese, and give their opinion on this flag? Thanks in advance!

WWII Japanese, "Good Luck," flag

Your photo is too poor to read any of the smaller writing, but at least I can tell that this was a company send-off flag for an employee of Furukawa Electric, who was working in the transport section of its copper refinery plant in Nikko, Tochigi Prefecture. This company is currently second in world production of optical fibers and the world's 5th in electrical wire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furukawa_Electric . Not the kind of subject fakers choose, so no need to worry about authenticity, though the un-dynamic style of writing is the type often seen in fakes.
    The owner was Shouichi Sato and he entered the Army.

Thanks for the Info Nick!

Nick, when you say, "undynamic style," do you mean that there is little variation in handwriting types?

No, as if none of them are used to writing with a brush. Brush writers have a more dynamic flowing style even when they write with a pen, but pen writers have a rigid style like block printing. A lot probably has to do with how old the signers are.
    Post war generations are not used to brush and ink, so when they make fake flags they write in the rigid style like yours. It is generally a better sign to have a mix of writing styles, but when your work colleagues are just signing and not the bosses, this sort of thing can happen.