Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII Japanese Landing Forces Tropical Field Cap

Article about: Gents, I'm kind of getting back into a little collecting passion of some sorts with adding another piece of WWII Japanese militaria to my collection. Once in a while I'll buy an item or two

?

Quote by Type4 View Post
    That in picture have 5 buttons i think is this one, you can translate this?? Thanks
    I believe that document is concerning the officer versions of the Navy Ground Work Clothes/Rikusengyofuku, but served as a basis for the enlisted versions. I've attached a comparison image from a Japanese collector. The left is the Rikusengyofuku and the right is the Class III uniform. The biggest difference is that the Rikusengyofuku has five buttons and the Class III has four. Generally the enlisted Class III tunics will have scalloped flaps and pleats on the upper pockets, with flaps on the lower pockets and two distinct seams arching outwards towards the arms on the back. In contrast enlisted Rikusengyofuku has regular looking straight flaps on both the top and bottom pockets, and the later variants often removed the lower pocket flaps entirely. The back of Rikusengyofuku just has a simple straight seam running down the middle. Around 1944 when the Class III uniforms started to be made, production was supplemented by Rikusengyofuku, which were deemed "Provisional Class III uniforms".

In closing, although not originally intended to be a combat uniform, they were worn in combat outside of Japan far more than the Class III. Personally, out of the thousands of photos I've gone through, I am yet to see a Class III uniform being worn by any form of Japanese naval infantry in the Pacific yet, although I'm sure some did make it out there. Also, a side note more related to the thread, because the Class III caps seemed to get a headstart in production compared to their respective uniforms, there are many instances of them being worn with Rikusengyofuku, the earlier Rikusenfuku and essentially any common enlisted uniform at the time.

Petty Officer wearing Rikusengyofuku and a Class III cap.

?

Adachi in end of war is possible who Rikusengyofuku (like kesenfuku) came without any stamp? I have one who look make in
    vegetable fiber,probably derived from mulberry tree

?

Quote by Type4 View Post
    Adachi in end of war is possible who Rikusengyofuku (like kesenfuku) came without any stamp? I have one who look make in
    vegetable fiber,probably derived from mulberry tree
    That is a good question. I don't have a definite answer. I own a 1945 production Rikusenjigyofuku tunic that still bears a stamp, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Navy didn't stop stamping during the final months. It could also be a civilian uniform, there are patterns that look nearly identical.
    Last edited by adachi; 05-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Where does that phoney Japanese, Rikusengyoufuku (陸戦業服) come from? In English that means "Land-fighting Industry Clothing", clearly some kind of typo was made, resulting in a nonsense word. Can you show the word in whatever source document you took it from, please? I suspect the original Japanese got mutilated by dropping one character out. What would make sense instead is Rikusensagyoufuku 陸戦作業服, which would mean "Land-fighting fatigues", though I never heard that term used before either. Anyway you need to recheck your source not to end up spreading a mistake.

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Where does that phoney Japanese, Rikusengyoufuku (陸戦業服) come from? In English that means "Land-fighting Industry Clothing", clearly some kind of typo was made, resulting in a nonsense word. Can you show the word in whatever source document you took it from, please? I suspect the original Japanese got mutilated by dropping one character out. What would make sense instead is Rikusensagyoufuku 陸戦作業服, which would mean "Land-fighting fatigues", though I never heard that term used before either. Anyway you need to recheck your source not to end up spreading a mistake.
    Thank you for pointing that out Nick Komiya. It is never my intention to spread misinformation and my erroneous title is quite embarrassing. I believe it should be 陸戦事業服 Rikusenjigyofuku. I am not sure how the 事 character dropped out of my head when I was writing it, but I sincerely apologize for any misinformation I have caused. Here is what I believe to be the archival document of 陸戦事業服 Rikusenjigyofuku.

Glad I brought it up early. So what the army calls Sagyofuku for fatigues, the navy calls Jigyoufuku, a typical show of army and navy rivalry, where the same thing gets different names. In current day Japanese, Jigyoufuku, the navy term, would be understood to be a company work uniform, because Jigyou means Business, whereas Sagyou means work process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2