Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings

Article about: I went to look at a guy who had a add on craigslist saleing some guns he had a K98 for sale that I wanted but unfortunately the guy that came before me got it. He took me into his garage to

Default WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings

I went to look at a guy who had a add on craigslist saleing some guns he had a K98 for sale that I wanted but unfortunately the guy that came before me got it. He took me into his garage to show me his motorcycles and he had a WWII sword hanging on the wall. He told me a old girlfriends father had brought it back from WWII and it was a gift from her. It was in great shape, he said he wanted $1000 and I offered him $800 which may be all its worth but he was firm on his price and would not come down. What do you guys think about the value is the $1000 reasonable or way to high? I took some pictures of it apart but not to together. Can some one help me read the markings on the tang? I told him I would let him know what I found out about the markings. Thanks in advance for your help. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings   WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings  

WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings   WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings  

WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings   WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings  

Default Re: WWII Japanese Samurai Help Needed Reading Markings

l have not read japanese for 20 plus years, but it may help, the two characters is a name, im certain, it be the sword makr> or owner, the other sides looks like a poem or saying, like A MONTH IS MY MOST HAPPY DAY..? Now dont take that to the bank, but im just recognizeing some of the characters...regards

ps, there are many very good copies, aged and all coming out of china, but this one looks very good to me, the wrap is nice and correct, kind of looks like navy officer, but again, the scabbard looks army, good luck it looks very nice, have you taken a look at the temper line, is it straight or waved...

Thanks for your reply, the temper line is straight.

yes, l was just looking and it is, and that is common on that sword, l may be getting you mixed up instead of helping, but lm no pro at japanese, but some characters, NAME OF A PERSON OR PLACE, and a SLOGAN..POEM.. whatever it is a very nice sword..cheers

The sword is a model 1944 Imperial Japanese Army officer sword mounting with a machined made blade dated Marcj of 1945. These model swords have two holes in the tang for a double pin attachement. The blade shows the poor work at this time as the lower hole on the tang actually was drilled off center and on the edge. This is not made by a traditional swordsmith but a worker in the arsenal. I have one of these that I have never taken the handle off of as nothing is to be gained as the factory worker would not be recorded.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for your help sailorjerry and Bob. I will let him know about the made on date. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Robert

?

藤房 = Fujifusa.
    昭和二十年三月 = 1945 March.
    Note the partial 岐 in a cherry blossom above the signature.

And a small Seki stamp on the date side.

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    And a small Seki stamp on the date side.
    Oops, I missed that. Does this mean the pink slip is in the mail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast