Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

Article about: Here is one of my prized WW2 Japanese militaria possessions second only to my Arisaka type 99 with non-defaced Chrysanthemum and intact aircraft sights. This sword has a blade length of 26.2

Default WWII Japanese Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

Here is one of my prized WW2 Japanese militaria possessions second only to my Arisaka type 99 with non-defaced Chrysanthemum and intact aircraft sights.

This sword has a blade length of 26.25 inches (66cm). I believe it was manufactured in in 1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya - dated Showa Jyu Hachi Nen Jyu Ichi Gatsu, or November 1943. <---- (not 100% on that info)

WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

I have found this info (hope i'm on the right track): Sword smith named 清宮 - Kiyomiya who was a sword smith working in Seki. Kiyomiya Noguchi (real name: Toru Noguchi) working in Seki about 1935. 清宮 (Kiyomiya)
    野口 徹

During WWII, more than 200 swordsmiths worked only at Seki province to supply qualified swords for their soldiers. Their names began to appear in Seki Tanrensho Booklet printed in 1939. Several smiths worked as Rikugun Jumei Tosho (e.g. Nakata Kanehide) and produced both good and poor blades together. However, most of these seki smiths produced low grade Showato and should not be regarded as a Gendaito.

WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

Additional Photos:

WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

Nice gunto! I agree with your translations and enjoy the dispaly!

Thanks Bruce!

a very nice clean example. I would suggest not displaying the blade out of the scabbard as long term exposure to the environment will darken the steel. I recall seeing a daisho pair of Juyo Token 1st gen. Kaneuji blades on display in a castle in Odowara in 1979. They were in fresh polish and beautiful blades. On a return visit 10 years later, the blades were still there but the blades were now black.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Here are a few photos of the Arisaka Type 99. I will post additional detailed photos of the markings, serial # and what I believe are kill tally marks on the stock (vertical lines scratched on the stock near the trigger that may indicate the # of kills <----still researching that part). The gun has these parts- Original dust cover, original aircraft sight, un-molested Chrysanthemum, repro monopod, repro rubbarized sling, repro muzzle cap, repro cleaning rod - all other parts (screws etc...) are original. (some parts may not displayed in my posted photo due to I had just reassembled the rifle after taking apart and cleaning (all parts may not have been put back on at the time). The rifle is in great shape (everything is tight)! I have yet to shoot it as it is hard to find 7.7 ammo for a reasonable price.

WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )WWII Japanese Samurai Sword SHIN GUNTO (1943 by Seki Showa Swordsmith Kiyomiya )

Thanks Bob,

Great advice! I was informed of that issue early on by a few good folks and only remove it from the scabbard for photos.

Would you recommend an occasional wiping down of the blade with Choji Oil then wiping with a quality polish cloth. I have read where some recommend this and some do not...

Thanks,
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-27-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Hello Darren,if you do acquire some ammo and decide to fire the weapon be sure to clean the bore immediately when you are finished a lot of the older ammo for this weapon is extremely corrosive and if left uncleaned,will damage the bore which many consider to be the heart of the rifle! Nice pieces! Thanks for showing them.Regards,Geoff

Quote by godzilla2007 View Post
    Thanks Bob,

Yes you are correct leaving the blade exposed (out of the scabbard) could possibly darken the blade (and who wants to take chances with that - Not this guy !!!). Great advice! I was informed of that issue early on by a few good folks and only remove it from the scabbard for photos.

Would you recommend an occasional wiping down of the blade with Choji Oil then wiping with a quality polish cloth. I have read where some recommend this and some do not...

Thanks,

Darren
    Hi Darren-
    It certainly would not do any harm to your blade. I personally keep my blades stored dry but I also do not live in a humid climate. After handling, I always clean the bare blade with uchigo before putting it back.
    FYI, there is a man who advertises on Gunbroker who makes ammunition for Japanese rifles. I have shot some and it is well made.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast