Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

Article about: There's an auction coming up and this was pictured as being for sale. I think it is a WWII Japanese sword, but I'm not sure. Is it? If so, how much (ballpark) is it worth so I know know much

?

Default Re: WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

When I get it in my hands I'll take some photos and post them. I tried to post the link but it's dead. The seller on ebay is ,"boomstore778"
    ~Dean

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I agree with SteveR. - original WWII japanese military swords
    are quite expensive and have been so for some years.
    At $135, it would be a miracle if it were genuine.
    Especially as the seller is in China and he is selling all the usual fakes.

boomstore778 | eBay

Thanks for the link Richie.

To coin a phrase, "That put's the tin lid on it". Fake.

Cheers, Ade.

Ssharp
    ?

Does anybody know who made this sword

mpvedto the Japanese Militaria Forum
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Ssharp View Post
    Does anybody know who made this sword
    This is a factory made blade made by a factory worker so it really does not matter. Last one of these I owned I never removed the handle as there was nothing to gain by doing so.
    BOB

As an FYI: this style is called a Type 3 Imperial Japanese Army Officer sword. I recently learned that the ones with a single lock release button tend to be non-traditionally made, but if you find one with the double release buttons, so far as my friend has seen, the blades are gendaito and made by reputable smiths.

?

Quote by Dean View Post
    I would say It's worth about $250+ based on what ebay has them for. In fact I Just bought one on ebay for $135 today! It's also a ww2 sword. The thing about these is tricky...If you take the handle off you can see a makers signature.Some Japanese soldiers would use their Families sword that was in the fam for generations but in ww2 the military regulations said the handle needed to be a certain length which was shorter than the traditional swords so they had to cut the handle down on the old swords and the makers signature would get cut off. A lot of very valuable swords made by famous makers were rendered less valuable because the signature were cut off.I hope this helps!
    ~dean
    Never seen or heard that before. Sounds incorrect!

?

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Never seen or heard that before. Sounds incorrect!
    Neither have I, because it is erroneous in the extreme. For a better explanation of "suriage"....maner of blade shortening Lots of information here about older blades.

It seems that the gendaito found in this form of mount always have lacquered tsukaito and a rough texture black lacquered saya. I have never seen a gendaito in the steel saya version of this mount. Often the wrap on these type tsuka is broken due to not being tied tight. Late in the war, most of the tsuka were wrapped by women who did not have the hand strength necessary to tie a tight wrap.
    BOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast