Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

Article about: There's an auction coming up and this was pictured as being for sale. I think it is a WWII Japanese sword, but I'm not sure. Is it? If so, how much (ballpark) is it worth so I know know much

Default WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

There's an auction coming up and this was pictured as being for sale. I think it is a WWII Japanese sword, but I'm not sure. Is it? If so, how much (ballpark) is it worth so I know know much money to bring to the auction! Thanks

Bill
    WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

?

Default Re: WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

Wrap on handle is a mess. Would need to know if tang is signed. Can't really tell what the condition of the blade is.
    Condition is always realtive to value. I believe it is WWII.
    A rough guess at what I can see. $600.00 or $700.00. I am just guessing. I really havn't kept up on the prices of military blades. That would be top price from me "IF" I was interested.
    SteveR

?

think steve has said it ! the handle is a mess but blade looks nice from that picture but the tang of the blade is were the money is at if its sighned by a good sword smith .there are books as i dont have a clue on who is the great ones but in the books they tell you..its still original and worth taking a gamble on it try to get it under $500 as that leaves you room incase you need to sell.would love to see closer pictures?thanks for showing it and good luck on winning it !

?

I would say It's worth about $250+ based on what ebay has them for. In fact I Just bought one on ebay for $135 today! It's also a ww2 sword. The thing about these is tricky...If you take the handle off you can see a makers signature.Some Japanese soldiers would use their Families sword that was in the fam for generations but in ww2 the military regulations said the handle needed to be a certain length which was shorter than the traditional swords so they had to cut the handle down on the old swords and the makers signature would get cut off. A lot of very valuable swords made by famous makers were rendered less valuable because the signature were cut off.I hope this helps!
    ~dean

Thanks for all the input!! I will try to win the sword. I did some research and it looks like this may be a 'landing' sword---one that was taken with an officer upon landing or invadiing an island? That is what I could find out anyway. I agree--based on the picture, the blade looks good. Will I be able to see the maker mark, or will it be under the handle and the only way to see it is to remove the handle? I'm not familiar with Japanese writing, so I doubt I would be able to tell a 'good' maker from a 'not so good' maker!

?

Quote by totenkopfDean View Post
    I would say It's worth about $250+ based on what ebay has them for. In fact I Just bought one on ebay for $135 today! It's also a ww2 sword. The thing about these is tricky...If you take the handle off you can see a makers signature.Some Japanese soldiers would use their Families sword that was in the fam for generations but in ww2 the military regulations said the handle needed to be a certain length which was shorter than the traditional swords so they had to cut the handle down on the old swords and the makers signature would get cut off. A lot of very valuable swords made by famous makers were rendered less valuable because the signature were cut off.I hope this helps!
    ~dean
    TD.
    Buddy if you bought a WWII Military Japanese sword on ebay for $135 I can gaurantee it is a Chinese fake.
    The first clue would be the location of the seller. Any where in China is bad news. Those guys have made a boat load of fakes and are still making them. Even the low end military swords in good shape are bringing $1500 or more.
    SteveR

This image may be a bit larger so you can see more detail. You can click on it to enlarge the pic. I think the blade looks pretty good from what I can see. Let me know what you think! I'm bringing $500...hopefully I can get it! WWII Japanese SWORD at auction

?

If you can get it for $500.00 that would be a fair price.
    If you get it for less then your stealing it Pal.
    SteveR

I stopped bidding at $500. It sold for $550. So, I did not get it..

If you are serious Excalibr, save up some dough and find one
    in better condition. You may be able to get a really nice
    example under $1000 at auction.

I agree with SteveR. - original WWII japanese military swords
    are quite expensive and have been so for some years.
    At $135, it would be a miracle if it were genuine.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast