Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Africa Orientale medal

Article about: Hi guys. I have reciently bought this pretty medal. I have no experience with italian medals, but it looks nice. Could anyone give me information about it? I can see a crown and under it the

?

Default Africa Orientale medal

Hi guys.

I have reciently bought this pretty medal.
    I have no experience with italian medals, but it looks nice.

Could anyone give me information about it?

I can see a crown and under it the letter Z, and to the right the letter C.

Thanks in advance.

Africa Orientale medal

Africa Orientale medal

Africa Orientale medal

Hi, schum
    yes, it is a commemorative medal of the East Africa Campaign (1935-36 period), with which Italy conquered Ethiopia, Eritrea and parts of Somalia, founding the "Africa Orientale Italiana" (A.O.I.).
    It was distributed to all veterans of this war, your own is an example for fighters, he is recognized by "Gladio with laurel" and written "FERT" on the hilt.
    The star on the ribbon should indicate a year of war.
    As for marks, you can find:
    -On the side where there is the "Fascio", the lower left corner there is "V. Perrone," it was the name of the engraver.
    -On the side where there is the image of King Vittorio Emanuele III, at bottom there is a "Z" topped by a small crown, it is the symbol of "Zecca dello Stato" (governmental institute for manufacturing of coins and medals), and below you can find the signature "G. ROMAGNOLI " (Giuseppe Romagnoli), it was the name of a famous engraver and Director of "Medals School of Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato"; on the right could be present a letter, in this case "C", but I do not know the meaning, perhaps the year or the production batch.
    It is not a rare medal, but in my opinion it has a very nice graphics, in particular you can appreciate the detailed engraving of African highlands landscape.

Regards
    Roberto

Hello,

Nice medal schum !

good medal!