Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Dagger "eagle beak" - Authentication

Article about: Hello, I'd like to have your opinions about this Italian dagger with an "eagle beak". Is it a true one or a copy ? Can you also tell me what's the "acceptable" price rang

Default Dagger "eagle beak" - Authentication

Hello,

I'd like to have your opinions about this Italian dagger with an "eagle beak". Is it a true one or a copy ?
    Can you also tell me what's the price range for this kind of dagger ?

I add that the tip of the sheath can be screwed on.

Regards
    Antoine

Last edited by Shining; 02-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Anyone ?

Hi; IMHO is a nice, good one. Furthermore, with that scabbard it should be a "luxury" M37, made by a premium manifacture (they were private purchase items). About its value, I can tell you that here it could easily reach 600 euro, maybe even more.

Thank you ziomanno. On another forum, they've found that the "fascio" insignia probably wasn't the original one though.
    It seems that some copies of this insignia were made after the war with original moulds, but differerent components.

I'm not a particular fan of the hanger bands hardware on the sheath also. I would have to agree that this is likely a post-war parts put together piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You're right about the "fascetto": actually seems it doesn't fit properly on the handle seat, but maybe it's just a replaced one, not necessarily a copy. The carved hanger bands and the removable tip are typical of the so called "de luxe" version, that being less common, command a premium among the collectors. Check this one for comparison:

Pugnali - ---------- - Stupendo nonche' raro pugnale fascista mod.37 DE LUXE con sospenzioni in pelle n.fa37

MAP
    ?

Can't help with authenticity, but 6 years ago, I would see plain jane versions of this going for 300 or 400 at local shows. Now, I rarely even see them, and when I do they are in the $700 range. Always wanted one but not at that price...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Your dagger is fine, the screws look unturned and unmessed with, the insignia looks fine also, I never heard of them being replaced post war, the hanger bands came in two different styles at least, some smooth like the one I have and some with ridges like yours, the earlier ones had the chain hanger and later ones the leather hangers, here is a link to the one I have and some information on them. MVSN Chained Dagger

Thank you all !