Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian Μ 33

Article about: Hello everyone, Today I won this helmet in an action and I would like your opinion about this. The leather seems to be of the wartime period but the color of the shell it troubles me. So eve

Default Italian Μ 33

Hello everyone,
    Today I won this helmet in an action and I would like your opinion about this.
    The leather seems to be of the wartime period but the color of the shell it troubles me.
    So every opinion is appreciated.

Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33Italian Μ 33

MAP
    ?

I always have a hard time with the paint color on these. Here are two good threads from member OldSteel

Hopefully they help you

Italian helmets of WW2

Italian M33 helmet-1947-90
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP.Also I think that the infantry emblem is not wartime as I know usualy there is a crown on the top...
    Bad choice once again. :P

MAP
    ?

Quote by Terry 29 View Post
    Thanks MAP.Also I think that the infantry emblem is not wartime as I know usualy there is a crown on the top...
    Bad choice once again. :P
    I think that may be correct. But not really sure. Members OldSteel and Ziomanno would probably be best place to answer your questions.

Here is a link I have used in the past. A PDF of the US Army handbook of the Italian forces during WW2. Check out page 197-198 (of PDF not what is numbered on the page)

TM E 30-420 Handbook on the Italian Military Forces 1943

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Terry,
    in my opinion, it should be a M33 helmet, reconditioned in the post-war period, but using WW2 components.
    The liner, the chinstrap and the rivets/air vents are of the type used during WW2, while the khaki / green color of the shell is the one used since the 50s.
    The flash is that for infantry regiments or autonomous rifleman battalions, of the type used between 1948 and 1969, subsequently the application of the flash on the Italian Army helmets became a not very widespread practice.

Regards
    Roberto

I agree: reworked in early post war M33. The color should be more khaki than green, but probably is just the pic.

MAP
    ?

I would just LOVE it if someone who knows the paint variations could create a simple thread showing side by side the progression of paint colors, the correct name of the colors and the dates they were used. I know it is not an easy task.

I get so confused over the color terms used (green, sage green, khaki green, dark green, gray green, light green, etc. etc. etc.) as photo quality is so important in determining the true color. (I won't go into the variations of liners, liner stitching, chin straps, inside/outside rivets, etc. etc....)

I've said it a thousand times, for the non-expert, these are some of the most difficult helmets to study due to the length of service and myriad of variation. If there was at least one good reference book (in English preferably) I would be the first to buy it!

Quote by MAP View Post
    I would just LOVE it if someone who knows the paint variations could create a simple thread showing side by side the progression of paint colors, the correct name of the colors and the dates they were used. I know it is not an easy task.

I get so confused over the color terms used (green, sage green, khaki green, dark green, gray green, light green, etc. etc. etc.) as photo quality is so important in determining the true color. (I won't go into the variations of liners, liner stitching, chin straps, inside/outside rivets, etc. etc....)

I've said it a thousand times, for the non-expert, these are some of the most difficult helmets to study due to the length of service and myriad of variation. If there was at least one good reference book (in English preferably) I would be the first to buy it!
    Hi Michael, for the paint colors I try to help, tomorrow I make a small summary on the subject and show the related photos.

Regards
    Roberto

Thanks alot everyone for the replies and for your interest!

This is a wartime period m33 helmet refurbished in the postwar period. Infantry emblem is almost 1950/1960 year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast