Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Italian fascist grafitti on family home

Article about: by sitges1990 Very nice, I'd say "The Sweet One" must have had supporters in the area to say the least. Hey G, my wife is from Spain, the streets look the same. It's amazing how ma

Default Re: Italian fascist grafitti on family home

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Very nice, I'd say "The Sweet One" must have had supporters in the area to say the least. Hey G, my wife is from Spain, the streets look the same. It's amazing how many people have air conditioning now compared to 1989 when I first travelled there.

Jay
    I'm not sure if the town still has supporters... or if they just don't care and don't want to be bothered about painting over it/ taking it down!

Calabria is a funny place... it's almost as if modern times passed it over. Sure they have modern cars and air conditioning (not everyone does... ), but the way people go about things, and the general way of life and attitude is so slow paced and old fashioned. I love it!

Here are some pictures of our village:

WW2 Coastal Bunker

WW2 Memorial

Very cosy town to stay for a few days, i love these places. I bet those older houses still have a lot of ww2 things inside. It would be a good oportunity for you to ask around.
    Italy has the same kind of culture that we have over here. Portuguese northern villages and towns are just like one you have show.
    Portugal, Spain and Italy has the same type of building construction, the streets look the same.
    You would feel right at home on any of these countrys.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Stunning photos GIZMO, I too love these small villages. Minimal amount of modern life's rat race to navigate. General construction is similar, yet beautiful. My wife and I have often discussed moving to the Iberian Pennisula after retirement. I guarantee you are right Nuno, there probably are numerous dust covered WWII relics wasting away in storage around Calabria. Thanks for the photos.

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Stunning photos GIZMO, I too love these small villages. Minimal amount of modern life's rat race to navigate. General construction is similar, yet beautiful. My wife and I have often discussed moving to the Iberian Pennisula after retirement. I guarantee you are right Nuno, there probably are numerous dust covered WWII relics wasting away in storage around Calabria. Thanks for the photos.

Take care,
    Jay
    Thanks for the kind words!

There is a little museum set up in the library of the village... if I remember correctly they have some artifacts from the war. I'll be sure to check out the museum and post some pictures after I get back from my trip this summer.

Would anyone know where I could find a history of WW2 in Calabria, Italy?

I'll be sure to ask my relatives if they know the whereabouts of any nice artifacts.

great pics.this kind of cities are amazing.like time has never past

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Hello all!

I have been checking out this forum for the past few weeks, but this is my first post. I just thought I'd share...

For as long as I can remember, I've been visiting family in southern Italy. I never noticed until recently, but on the side of the building where my great-aunts live, facing the main piazza in the old part of their town, there is this image of il Duce.

I'm assuming it was made using a stencil. Has anyone seen this same design used before? Thoughts and additional comments would be greatly appreciated!

What an amazing image still to be seen openly , a true reminder of the period , many thanks for showing us and the lovely local scenery
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    What an amazing image still to be seen openly , a true reminder of the period , many thanks for showing us and the lovely local scenery
    You're very welcome, but also THANK YOU to everyone for taking a look!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2