Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians

Article about: for sure! that would have been a great grouping, very frustrating, somtimes you just come along at the wrong time or go to the swap meet on the wrong day.......story of my life

?

Default Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians

I dont collect Italian....

However, rarely does an item come with impeccable provenance as this flag. Bought directly from the son of the Senior officer that captured it. I am not at liberty to say who this man was, as i dont feel that the family would approve.

The son himself is a collector, his father is in books, he showed me one photo of his father wearing his tin hat, and on the shelf in his office was the same helmet, quite a sureal moment, other evidence included letters and photos with montgomery, his uniforms and trunk this flag came home in, like I said this man was a Senior Australian officer.

The flag was not actually for sale, but I had bought my RKF from the same man, and he wanted this flag to someone who would appreciate it. It was hanging in his antique store, and my "in" was the fact I was the only person who had come into his store and knew what the flag was, and the fact I had purchased the RKF.

Needless to say a price was mentioned and there was no haggling, i felt that would be rude to haggle for such an item, if there is a period of time less than a nano second, then thats how long it was before I was at the nearest cash machine to get the money to secure this......

I was given a period foto along with this,of the man himself in the desert and the persons details, I am going back tommorow to see more and be given more stuff!!!

I will display this flag one day, folded, in a frame with fotos and history. until then its going in a airight bag and stored in a dark dry place.

I cannot believe I own a peice of Australian war history, from a very famous battle in the 70th anniversary.

Enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians   Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians  

Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians  

?

Default Re: Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians

More pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians   Italian Flag captured at Tobruk by Australians  

?

his father also bought home a german banner, this is now displayed in the Army museum here

A nice historical piece with provenance. Thank you for sharing.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

A great item to see with a known history from such an important battle. I picked up a 'Tobruk' relic recently, though without the history to back it up.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I'm very pored of it...

What was your Tobruk peice??

Quote by qotd View Post
    I'm very pored of it...

What was your Tobruk peice??
    A tropenhelm eagle shield, said to have been 'dug' at Tobruk. It's an original and the early type and the condition looks as I might expect it to.

Regards,

Jerry

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Wow fantastic peice...I have one that was given to me years ago, the senior officer also bought back one of these as well as a DD afrika korps M 35.

I think when someone tells you they found an item in a place, there has to be a little bit of trust that they are telling the truth, and also a lot of giving the benefit of the doubt. As long as you are happy ith your shield and the fact it has come from Tobruk, then there is no need to worry or doubt too much, just take it as it is.....

Lovely relic mate

4md
    ?

excellent flag thanks for showing, always great to see items from tobruk and el alamein..... double decal m35 afrika korps helmet from tobruk or el alamein, for me would be the holy grail of german helmets

nice tropenhelm eagle as well jerry

regards paul

?

Mate, went back to the antique store today to speak to him again, he is going to get more pics for, he says he may have one of his reli holding the flag. A few years back this bloke did have a DD decal m35 afrika korps helm, thought it was too good to be true, it was eventually sold. Found out today it came back in the same trunk as the flag!!!!! Arggggggggg. What a grouping it would have made. He showed me a pic of him as a kid wearing the helmet, wearing a Aussie great coat and sitting behind a Japanese machine gun that his reli bought back from the pacific!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast