Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Flight Qualification Awards

Article about: Does anyone have any expertise on these awards. Any feedback at all would be appreciated. Would like to know if they are original. Thanks in advance. Regards, Michael

MAP
    ?

Default Italian Flight Qualification Awards

Does anyone have any expertise on these awards.

Any feedback at all would be appreciated. Would like to know if they are original.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Transport badge, strategic reconnaissance, torpedo aircraft....original ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

MAP
    ?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Transport badge, strategic reconnaissance, torpedo aircraft....original ?
    Yes. Thanks. I found a similar rear hinge set up on John T ' s site but still not sure if these are real. Found others with different set ups (vertical pins, etc.)

These are something you don't see over here so was looking to see if they were worth adding to my German Luft collection (despite being Italian )

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Are they cheap? My High Performance Aircraft qualification has a vertical pin. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

MAP
    ?

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Are they cheap? My High Performance Aircraft qualification has a vertical pin. Rich A. in Pa.
    Sorry Rich. Missed your post. I don't have prices yet. In fact I don't even know what a real one goes for.

Still trying to get info as to if these are legit. I have see examples of both vertical and horizontal pins but these were just images on Google with no good information when I visited the websites.

If the consensus here is that they are real...I might plan on pursuing them

Hi Michael,
    I'm not particularly expert of these badges, but I can give you some info.
    This award was established on 27 June 1942.
    There were versions for ten specialties:
    Torpedo
    Assault and Combat
    Bombing
    Fighter
    Observation
    Maritime Reconnaissance
    Strategic Reconnaissance
    Transport
    Rescue
    Dive Bombing

The ranks were three: Bronze-Silver-Gold
    There are versions related to the following periods:
    -Second World War
    -Social Republic
    -Post War (only for WW2 Veterans)
    -Returned in 1991, following the Italian participation in the "Desert Storm" operation

The most famous versions of the WW2 period are made of "Zamak" alloy, or two-piece bronze, the pin is generally positioned vertically.
    It seems that there is also a painted aluminum version, produced by the Bomisa Company in Milan, your examples could belong to this model, but I have not found real images or examples that can confirm this with certainty.
    But I have seen examples in painted aluminum, produced by Bomisa from the Social Republic period; obviously without the "Royal Crown", which in the back are very similar to yours and also have the pin positioned horizontally.
    For the moment I have not found anything else, I hope I have helped.

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 02-24-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add info

Dear Michael they are original, however as Roberto has stated there where made post way and it is very hard to tell the difference between the post war veteran issue badges.
    Due to this most dealers do not place much value in Italian FQ badges. One of the tricks with Italian awards is that the gold wash of wartime awards usually washes out to a more bronze like color at this age, also as the boys have raised the pin set up is different to wartime ones I have seen. Due to that I would not accept these as wartime ones personally

MAP
    ?

Thank yo Roberto and KM. Very helpful.

I think the wise move is to pass. But if I ever do run across some war time examples I might consider adding them. They look great and are a compliment to my Luft flight awards.