Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Italian helmet with strange insignia

Article about: years back i purchased a ww2 italian helmet with a large brass insignia on front. just yesterday i identified the insignia as being the U.S. national guard insignia. it's a large one approx.

Default Italian helmet with strange insignia

years back i purchased a ww2 italian helmet with a large brass insignia on front. just yesterday i identified the insignia as being the U.S. national guard insignia. it's a large one approx. 2"x2". at first glance it looks facist because of the spread wing eagle with two bundles of sticks (facia). has anyone else ever run into something like this, and does any one know if it has any signifigance?
    thank you--general disaster

?

Default Re: Italian helmet with strange insignia

Quote by general disaster View Post
    years back i purchased a ww2 italian helmet with a large brass insignia on front. just yesterday i identified the insignia as being the U.S. national guard insignia. it's a large one approx. 2"x2". at first glance it looks facist because of the spread wing eagle with two bundles of sticks (facia). has anyone else ever run into something like this, and does any one know if it has any signifigance?
    thank you--general disaster
    A picture would give everybody something to discuss. Without one all anyone has is a vague description with no reference to work with.
    SteveR

?

Yes , please attach some images , i look forward to seeing them
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

sorry Steve--can't provide photos as my computer expertise is limited to turning the computer on and off. if you would like to see the insignia, type in usmilitary.about.com. u.s. military national guard bureau
    General Disaster

?

is this what your talking about ?

Branch Insignia: Two crossed gold color metal fasces superimposed on an eagle displayed with wings reversed, 3/4 inch in height.

On 12 July 1920, the Commission of Fine Arts was requested by the War Department to render assistance in the design of an insignia for the Militia Bureau. The citizen soldier is represented by the fasces, denoting the unity of the States, and the eagle represented the federal government. The original design and model were made by Anthony de Francisci, the sculptor, and were approved by the Commission. In a memorandum from the Chief of Staff to the Quartermaster General, dated 12 May 1921, the design and model submitted by the Commission of Fine Arts, was approved. The symbolism of the design, as expressed by the Commission of Fine Arts, was adopted and has remained the basic symbolism since then.

The Militia Bureau was redesignated as the National Guard Bureau on 15 June 1933, in accordance with Public Law No. 64, 73d Congress, and the name of the branch insignia was changed accordingly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian helmet with strange insignia  

that's it Nick.
    gen'l disaster