Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

italian insignia, help

Article about: Hello do you know this badge found in France ? thanks for answers cordially Didier

?

Default italian insignia, help

Hello
    do you know this badge found in France ?
    thanks for answers
    cordially
    Didier

?

Default Re: italian insignia, help

Hi Didier , i think this is a commemorative item concerning the campaign in Mesopotamia in WW1 . Susa was situated in the Mesopotamian Plain
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hello Alan
    thank you
    cordially
    Didier

I beg to differ; this has nothing to do with the Susa in Persia.

The mountainous scene depicted here does not make sense for the Persian Susa, which - as Alan said - is located in a plain.

However, there is also a Susa in Piedmont, Italy. It is located at the foot of the Rocciamelone mountain, which is the destination of a traditional pilgrimage.

On the summit of that mountain is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is also depicted on this badge. Thus, the Italian Susa is definitely the right one.

See:
    Susa, Piedmont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Rocciamelone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Just what exactly this badge is, I cannot tell. My first thought was it might be a souvenir item for the pilgrimage, but the presence of the mountain trooper would be somewhat odd for such a badge.)

?

Hi, this is an RSI monterosan division pin.

cheers all

?

Hello
    thank you Gentlemen
    cordially
    Didier

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I beg to differ; this has nothing to do with the Susa in Persia.

The mountainous scene depicted here does not make sense for the Persian Susa, which - as Alan said - is located in a plain.

However, there is also a Susa in Piedmont, Italy. It is located at the foot of the Rocciamelone mountain, which is the destination of a traditional pilgrimage.

On the summit of that mountain is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is also depicted on this badge. Thus, the Italian Susa is definitely the right one.

See:
    Susa, Piedmont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Rocciamelone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Just what exactly this badge is, I cannot tell. My first thought was it might be a souvenir item for the pilgrimage, but the presence of the mountain trooper would be somewhat odd for such a badge.)

Hi HPL., and thanks for your input regarding this item . Before i posted my reply on this thread was aware of the Susa in Italy but took it out of the equation due to the very reason you mention at the foot of your post i.e. :- the military presence ( the image of a soldier carrying a rifle ) and i did not find any military reference for that area in Italy .
    The pack Mule the soldier was leading was another reason i leaned toward it being for Mesopotamia as it is widely documented that these animals were used by the armed forces in that area .I did state that Susa was situated on a plain but it is also in the foothills of the Zagros Mountains !
    The image of the statue in the background didn`t remind me of the Virgin Mary at the time and looks to me , very Egyptian in style , but could be due to the very basic details on the badge and i of course i take your point !
    Do you have a theory on the Eagle that is shown ?

Anyhow a very interesting and enjoyable topic .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

pmc
    ?

HPL is correct in saying its Italian. It Belongs to the Alpine Regt "Susa" the pin was worn originaly on there Felt Caps now days they are worn on a leather fob suspended from the shirt pocket of the uniform. The Eagle is associated with the Italian Alpine Corp and is part of the cap badge.

I was going to guess Alpini based on the mtn terrain, the hat the trooper is wearing, and his trusty pack mule.