MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?

Article about: Hello Folks - I've had a number of these shortened bayonets over the years and when I ordered this one, thought it would be the same. However, it arrived today and I was quite surprised when

Default Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?

Hello Folks -

I've had a number of these shortened bayonets over the years and when I ordered this one, thought it would be the same. However, it arrived today and I was quite surprised when I opened it. Most come as your 'standard' shortened vetterli. This one appears to be some sort of dress(?) combination?

Has a beautiful polished (not recently) scabbard dated 1935 along with a carcano style frog (but definitely made to fit the vetterli scabbard) and it is not brown or the gray-green, but all black. Also has a twisted loop metal hanger at the top of the frog. For hanging on the wall I would guess? The bayonet is standard, but not sharpened and a nice looking example with a polished walnut grip on the side that is displayed.

Has anyone ever run across this combination with the black frog?

Thanks for looking!
    - Mike

PS - Apologies for the quality of the photos, they don't do it justice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?   Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?  

Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?   Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?  

Italian Vetterli M1870/87/16 Bayonet - Something Different?