Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post Car

Article about: I picked up these items at an antique store in Albany, NY for a very reasonable price. Considering my Italian heritage, I'm pretty psyched about them. Interestingly enough, the post card has

Default Italo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post Card

I picked up these items at an antique store in Albany, NY for a very reasonable price. Considering my Italian heritage, I'm pretty psyched about them.

Interestingly enough, the post card has a rubber stamp mark for a gentleman living in Albany, NY... perhaps he was the one who brought it back and wanted to mark it as his...?

Italo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post CarItalo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post CarItalo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post CarItalo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post CarItalo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post CarItalo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post Car
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 11-20-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Default Re: Italo-German Friendship/ Parade Flag and Italian Post Car

Very cool Joe I like those congrats.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

i like also !!!!!!!

Thanks, folks! I speak Italian reasonably well... but I'm horrible at deciphering hand writing... so I am clueless on the post card.

I've wanted a friendship flag for a while, so I am most excited about it! The finished edges makes me think that it was meant to be displayed just as you see it... I had wondered if it was an unfinished swatch of mini flags, or a handkerchief or something... I wonder if it's German or Italian made.

It's a 'one-piece', Joe. Don't attempt to cut it apart.
    Il Duce postcard is cool too.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    It's a 'one-piece', Joe. Don't attempt to cut it apart.
    Il Duce postcard is cool too.........!
    No worries, Steve! I would never!

When I first saw it I thought it may be unfinished, but once I got it home I saw that the edges were sewn/ finished.

I did some very basic research and it appears that this letter was sent from Pvt. Paolo Tortora on February 10, 1942 to a municipal gas company in Bologna, Italy... thanking them for a care package.

Tortora was attached to an AntiTank unit ( "47/82", the standard light AT gun). 11th regiment, 2nd. company. Posta Militare #88.

It also appears that PM #88 was on the eastern front!

?

Nice find. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Well done on an unusual find Joe ! Also well done with the research on the postcard , it makes it so much more personal and interesting
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Well done on an unusual find Joe ! Also well done with the research on the postcard , it makes it so much more personal and interesting
    Thanks, Alan! I'm very excited about the flag. I've wanted one for a while but they seem to be pretty rare. Most recently I saw one for sale on the Guild for ~$500

Too bad the subject of the post card isn't a little more ... personal or exciting... BUT it just goes to show you how woeful the Italian supply system was. This soldato was dependant on a municipal gas company for care packages containing warm clothes, food, etc!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast