Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Marine Infantry tropical uniform

Article about: Goodmorning everyone, today I wanted to show an even little-known, but I think interesting, it is the tropical infantry uniform of the Royal Italian Navy; it was widely used during the campa

Default Marine Infantry tropical uniform

Goodmorning everyone,
    today I wanted to show an even little-known, but I think interesting, it is the tropical infantry uniform of the Royal Italian Navy; it was widely used during the campaign for the conquest of 'East Africa of 1935-36 and later during the North African Campaign of 1940-42, for example: it was used by sailors of the San Marco Battalion during the Tobruk Battle.
    Depending on the case it could be worn with long pants or with short ones, and was used the tropical helmet or the steel helmet M33.
    This example is still in very good condition, but has been widely used and the originally khaki colour, a little darker, has faded with washing and exposure to the sun.
    This type of uniform was also used during the RSI period, and after the war I think it was still used by Italian sailors during the period of Italian Administration of Somalia from UN mandate (1950-1960).

Here are some interesting links:

http://image.archivioluce.com/foto/h...AO00002705.JPG

http://image.archivioluce.com/foto/h...RG00051219.JPG

http://image.archivioluce.com/foto/h...RG00051201.JPG

http://www.comandosupremo.com/wp-con.../San-Marco.jpg

Regards
    Roberto

Marine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniformMarine Infantry tropical uniform
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-18-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add photo

?

Nice uniform. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Nice set Roberto !

Hi,

very nice indeed!
    I do also own one of these uniforms.....it is pretty much marked but unfortunately not quite readable.....I guess the markings say 1945..but could also be 1946.....
    Here some pics for your review...

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Marine Infantry tropical uniform   Marine Infantry tropical uniform  

Marine Infantry tropical uniform   Marine Infantry tropical uniform  

Marine Infantry tropical uniform   Marine Infantry tropical uniform  

Marine Infantry tropical uniform  

Hello Alex,
    my uniform was washed many times and stamps are no longer readable, your example is very beautiful and in excellent condition with its original Regia Marina stamps; for the date, I can not be sure but it seems " 1945 " to me.
    I could not find much documentation on these tropical patterns, but only old images, but in my experience I believe that those using this cloth type, a little more raw and light khaki are WW2 production, while those of more refined and colored cloth khaki a little darker are post-war period.
    Another interesting question that I was unable to clarify is: if the date stamp was applied when the uniform was delivered to storage, or at the time of its distribution.

Regards
    Roberto

These are very nice

?

Nice. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.