Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stone monument: need help identifying

Article about: Sorry for posting so many pics together. I'm going to space them out in singles. Thanks. This pictures are of a stone monument that my grandpa brought back from Italy. My dad said my grandpa

?

Default Stone monument: need help identifying

Sorry for posting so many pics together. I'm going to space them out in singles. Thanks. This pictures are of a stone monument that my grandpa brought back from Italy. My dad said my grandpa claimed it was the only one he saw while in Italy and he was there for years during the war and a year after. He got it in Pesaro. Thanks again. This forum is greatStone monument: need help identifyingStone monument: need help identifying

?

I learned a couple of this about my item. I think it mark a battle that took place on march 10 1896. I wonder if it was given to soldiers who participated in the battle or what. Any opinions? Thank you

It seems to me a small marble (for a desk?) souvenir, made to remember those who died in the Adua battle (litteral translation: "to the fallen of Adua, March 1896"). If the base belongs to the souvenir, it was presented to the Federazione (Fascist section) of Pesaro.

?

Just updating the thread with some close ups. Also wondering if anyone would know where to start on how to research this. Thanks again for any help.

Well, not much to add to your search, I'm sorry. It seems an individual job, made by And(rea) Spadoni (last pic). Probably, a vet of the 1935/1936 Eastern Africa campaign, because in the first pic, above the crossed rifles and helmet, there is carved "pietra di Adua" (stone from Adua) and, in the second one, "A.O. F. Comb.", which could mean " Africa Orientale f(ronte) comb(attente)": Eastern Africa fighting first line.
    I would argue that the soldier Spadoni came back to Italy with that stone, picked up from the 1896 Adua's battlefield, then carved it as a souvenir to present to the local Fascist section.

?

Thank you for your theory. It sounds like a very good possibility that is the case. Do you think if this vet might have carved this it might be one of a kind? At any rate he must have been a skilled stone worker. You have really helped me with my Italian collection and I thank you very much.

Hi philly; yes, I do think it is one of a kind. About mr. Spadoni skillness on carving... Well, you know: here we all are descendant of Michelangelo and Leonardo
    Anytime, happy to help when I can.

?

Hello everyone. Hope all is well with all of you. I was just wondering if this carving might have been dedicated to Mr. Spadoni. The only reason I say this is because " per ricordo " in Italian means to remember. So maybe it is possible it wasn't made by Mr. Spadoni, but rather in memory of him. Just a theory. Thanks to all.

No, carved in this way, in our language Spadoni is the signature and the stone is dedicated to the Adua's fallen.