Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified Medal

Article about: Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could pick your brains once again. I have this medal, it is marked 800 and it might be a shooting medal. I was wondering if it is Italian or German, beca

?

Default Unidentified Medal

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could pick your brains once again. I have this medal, it is marked 800 and it might be a shooting medal. I was wondering if it is Italian or German, because it looks like it says Nazi on the front. I hope these pics are good.Thanks again for all your help! Unidentified MedalUnidentified Medal Unidentified MedalUnidentified Medal

?

Sorry, at closer look it might say Nazionale

Looks like a shooting award medal made in 800(?) silver.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by philly View Post
    Sorry, at closer look it might say Nazionale
    Sure does. Italian, I would say.

Allow me to remark that no German badge or medal would ever say "Nazi", as it was a wholly colloquial term.

Initially, everybody - including the Nazis themselves - used it in informal contexts, but over time it acquired a disrespectful connotation and, while it continued to be widely used by the Nazis' opponents, they themselves generally frowned upon and avoided its use in the end.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Initially, everybody - including the Nazis themselves - used it in informal contexts, but over time it acquired a disrespectful connotation and, while it continued to be widely used by the Nazis' opponents, they themselves generally frowned upon and avoided its use in the end.
    At least they could still laugh about it, the jolly good sports that they were....

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It is a silver medal, Italian, of the National Shooting Association (in Italian Tiro a Segno Nazionale, still in existence). 800 is the grade of the silver (800/1000), as Ned stated. Someone won a match, impossible to say exactly when (no date), but judging by the Royal crown over the crossed rifles, for sure during the Savoia's kingdom (probably 20's or 30's).

?

As usual you are a big help. You really know your stuff. Thanks.