Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Italian M33

Article about: There are always interesting to date war time or post war, something that i have yet to master with Italian militaria. Can i please request some help with this one gentlemen. I believe that

Default WW2 Italian M33

There are always interesting to date war time or post war, something that i have yet to master with Italian militaria.
    Can i please request some help with this one gentlemen. I believe that the chin strap buckle is the decider for these?
    Thank you Morris
    WW2 Italian M33WW2 Italian M33

MAP
    ?

Always a minefield for me as well. Just cant seem to get what paint color goes with what era. A nice book in English has yet to be written I have been told...

But try this site. Use google translate and pop in the link.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 933 :.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Chinstrap looks to be correct to my eyes but any other comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Morris

MAP
    ?

I thought the straps were grey for war time. But could be wrong.

The exterior paint from the photos looks too dark as well.

Best wait for others. I know there are a few guys here who can help.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Morris,
    the interior looks ok, the following points are consistent with a helmet of WW2 period:
    - Green sage color in use until 1940
    - The leather liner with parallel back seams
    - The hooks that fasten the chin strap to the liner are those rectangular of wartime
    - Batch number of the wartime production for me
    - The form, the buckle and the brass rivets of chin strap seem correct
    Generally the chin strap was gray-green color, but have also been used for leather color and in any case may have discolored with use.
    The outer part instead leaves me in doubt, apart from the fact that the photos are not very clear.
    It 'true that since 1940, with the beginning of the conflict, the M33 were repainted in green to make them less visible, but the color of this helmet seems too dark and too shiny.
    This is just my general opinion and it would be useful to have best photos of the exterior surface.
    I hope I was helpful.

Regards
    Roberto

Thank you very much Roberto,
    I am asking for photos in natural light so hopefully that will make the paint easier to look at.
    once again, many thanks.
    Morris

Here are the photos i have been given of the outside, possibly repainted?
    WW2 Italian M33
    WW2 Italian M33

MAP
    ?

Looks closer to a Spanish repaint. Did a little digging and here is an example. (Post #6)

my italian m33 helmets

IMO: correct WW 2 liner, chinstrap (just a paint loss), rivets and internal paint. The outer paint could be Spanish as stated but usually the tone is more brownish (but many 33's were also used postwar by the Spanish Army). I noticed also that the rivets seem to be of the type used after the Spanish war. It seems also that there are 2 more layers under that (or is the pic?).

Thank you gentlemen, if i can not get it for cheap i may let it pass.
    again many thanks
    Morris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast