Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on this SA Buckle...

Article about: I'm looking at my first potential SA buckle and would like to get everyone's opinion. I scanned the SA sticky posts and there seem to be quite a few variations in how these are made, as well

?

Default Need opinions on this SA Buckle...

I'm looking at my first potential SA buckle and would like to get everyone's opinion. I scanned the SA sticky posts and there seem to be quite a few variations in how these are made, as well as the Eagle and Swastika layout.

My questions are, what can you tell me about this particular example, is it a good one, and is it a good example to add to my collection (i.e. should I wait for a better example to come along without the tarnish spots, not so dull, etc)?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on this SA Buckle...   Need opinions on this SA Buckle...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on this SA Buckle...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need opinions on this SA Buckle...

Dzyner, original buckle but I will leave the rest for David, he is the man when it comes to SA buckles
    Ben

Dzyner

Personally, I really like this SA buckle and as Ben has so rightly confirmed, quite original and period.

I was somewhat interested in your question of "...i.e. should I wait for a better example to come along without the tarnish spots, not so dull, etc...".

If you are determined in your search within say the numerous auction and dealer sites, you will easily find other SA buckles which may by some, be regarded as and as you say "better examples". That is, a cleaner and less aged darkened box without blemishes and perhaps, a more aesthetically pleasing eagle and swastika.

In my opinion, one of the joys of SA buckle collecting is the immense variety of styles in relation to the design and presentation of the eagle and swastika.

The one that you have shown is and again in my opinion, an uncommon style of eagle and swastika. Not at all rare, although somewhat uncommon.

Interestingly, for someone like myself who focuses on SA buckles, I have never before encountered this style as two piece which shows a plain brass roundel. One piece and all brass yes and two piece with a silver washed brass roundel yes, however never with a plain brass roundel.

I think that this buckle would be a great SA starter, assuming that the price is commensurate to the current market prices.

Regards,

David