Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original SA, however - do we have a bayonet expert ?

Article about: Here are a few images of a potentially interesting SA buckle and where one jolly similar, appears in at least one of the so called respected tomes. Quite happy with the box, the box obverse

Default Original SA, however - do we have a bayonet expert ?

Here are a few images of a potentially interesting SA buckle and where one jolly similar, appears in at least one of the so called respected tomes.

Quite happy with the box, the box obverse finish and the wide brazed on catch. The pin shroud and claws look dreadful and not at all original to the buckle.

Having said that, why has someone stamped on and in red ink for goodness sake, a ridiculous and non simpatico Waffen Amt mark.

I think that the mark is bayonet related !!

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original SA, however - do we have a bayonet expert ?
    P
    Many

pjm
    ?

Default Re: Original SA, however - do we have a bayonet expert ?

Waffenamt codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wa A 251 is a wartime French factory.

It's possible someone has been stamping things with an original old stamp but the buckle doesn't impress me either.

Thankyou for your response pjm, however I wonder, could you tell me specifically why this buckle does not impress you.

Look forward to your comments.

Regards,

David

The problem i see is, that is was probably used, and if it was, that stamp would never have lasted, or survived, it would have rubbed off, from the continued use by the owner, from putting on, and taking off the buckle/belt, and the bar where it would lock up, does look like it has been used.

I was told a very long time ago, that they used metal stamping on metal products, and ink stampings on cloth items..

The design and manufacture of the buckle does not bother me in the least and that is why I am looking forward immensely to pjm's comments. I know the design of this roundel and which includes the fingerprint characteristic of each wing to the eagle appearing different in detail and also, the odd non symmetrical positioning. I have attached images of one that I have in brass.

Both buckles appear to be from the same die and also, each shows the same tool fold marks to the ears. Each with a brazed on catch, albeit different style.

Note that the one with the Waffen Amt is in spectacularly good condition, whilst the pin shroud and claws are in spectacularly dreadful condition. In addition, the dome to the pin is on the bottom edge of the buckle.

I have my theory, although I look forward to further comments from the forum.

Regards,

David