Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle

Article about: Hey, guys. I was recently shown this buckle and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it. Going for \\$100, which seems okay. The back is a little "salty" and the front a bit dark,

Question Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle

Hey, guys. I was recently shown this buckle and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it. Going for $100, which seems okay. The back is a little "salty" and the front a bit dark, but I do think the roundel has some very nice detailing, especially on the eagle's breast.

Just curious as far as construction... How common is the attachment of the roundel by 3 solder points? Most SA's I have come across thus far are only attached by two.

Of course, any opinions or comments are greatly valued!

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle   Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Prospective Sun Wheel SA Buckle

Adam

Indeed, an extremely attractive and finely detailed roundel.

Having said that, the SA buckle shown is a FAKE.

Everything to the buckle is post 1945 and as a rule of thumb, regard as fake any buckle with 3 closely positioned and vertically aligned solder points.

Regards,

David

Hi, David and many thanks for the swift reply and red-flagging. I suppose if I had known the rule of thumb about the 3 vertically aligned solder points I could have seen this as a fake straight off. Thankfully to you I now have this down and stored in my knowledge base!

Perhaps the fact that I had not seen 3 roundel solder points before should have aroused suspicion in the first place. I suppose I was also taken by the "weathered" condition yet fine detailing of the roundel. Made all the more difficult as this seller has some very nice original pieces.

Anyways, thanks again for the help and for teaching me something, although perhaps rudimentary, new to me. I'll post it in the rogues gallery straight away.

Very Best,
    Adam

Rouges gallery for sure....David said all that need be said about this one!

Cheers!

Rob

Adam

My pleasure and this thread in my opinion, perhaps demonstrates in a small way the core vales of the War Relics forum. Collector to collector exchanging opinions, viewpoints and experience in dare I say, via a non aggressive, tempered and non egotistical form of exchanges.

By the way, the "ageing" on the fake SA buckle that you showed is remarkably convincing.

Regards,

David