Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SA Buckle

Article about: My new SA buckle - any feedback regarding maker and possible production timeframe is appreciated. Thank you !

Default SA Buckle

My new SA buckle - any feedback regarding maker and possible production timeframe is appreciated.

Thank you !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Buckle   SA Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Buckle

I will leave this for David North or Adam to comment on
    Ben

Hi Guys,

A very nice SA you have posted and, in my opinion, with a great, much less commonly encountered design of roundel. This particular design of SA is one that holds a bit of a special place in my collector's heart as it was my very first SA buckle when I was just starting out. The variants of this buckle that are known to me are brass roundel/brass box as shown, nickel roundel/brass box and nickel plated brass roundel & box for an overall silver appearance.

Unfortunately I have no idea who the maker might be and in general this can be a bit difficult with SA buckles. If they are marked (which is not common/more desirable) then it can be more straightforward. Otherwise there are roundel designs associated with certain makers or characteristics of the construction such as the box "ears", catch and pins/claws that can help to identify. As far as production timeframe, I am again without a clear idea for this buckle in particular. If memory serves, the general timeframe for the SA box buckle was roughly 1924-1934.

As the senior SA authority, perhaps David will chime in here and illuminate us further. Attached is my nickel roundel/brass box variant. Again, a nice SA you have shown

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Buckle   SA Buckle  

Thank you and it is also my first SA buckle.
    My buckle collection goal (at first) is to obtain one from each branch of TR.

Hello ,

well nice variation but no marker is known for this buckle .

SA BuckleSA Buckle
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

My thoughts are toward a perfectly original SA buckle and in my opinion, appealing by the distinct and clear representation of the eagle and swastika. A strong and realistic design perhaps and most certainly when compared to many of the wonderful oddities that we see and have pinned within the forums extensive SA buckle database.

No idea as to who the maker was and no idea as to when the buckle was first worn. As yet, I have no indisputable period photographic evidence to support as to what year and month the SA "box" buckle made an introduction.

Super buckle and for the moment at least, I have only seen this example as two piece, by construction. Brass box with either a brass roundel or with a nickle silver/brass with silver washed roundel - again, on a brass box.

Here however is a two piece, nickle silver on brass example of the SA buckle. I think that all the buckles within this thread show the same basic roundel, although clear detail is very often lost or hidden by plating, coating or washing. Of note (perhaps) is the eagles leg (viewers right), being at a slight angle and which may be one of the instant signature marks to this rather pleasant roundel.

Regards,

David

Reverse