Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?

Article about: I posted this buckle along with an SS buckle in the SS section of the forum. This was largely because I was unsure what I had. The other buckle was an SS buckle so I posted them together. An

Default Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?

I posted this buckle along with an SS buckle in the SS section of the forum.
    This was largely because I was unsure what I had.
    The other buckle was an SS buckle so I posted them together.
    Anyway I was told originally that it may be a fantasy piece because there was no photographic evidence.
    Then another forum member sent me the pages in this buckle book by Jack Angolia which seems to have pictured the very same buckle - unless I am missing something.
    I got this from a vet's son who was an Army Photographer.
    He showed me some of his father's photos and the below photo of some of the bringbacks.
    I am confident it is NOT a fantasy piece but I would like more info.
    Thoughts are appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?   Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?  

Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?   Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?  

Attached Images Attached Images Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?  Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?  Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?
    P
    Many

Here is a photo of the vet and some of his bring backs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?   Sa buckle or hitler's buckle??? Thoughts?  

Hello Anton. The book to which you are referring is by John Angolia it is a good reference book but as others would point out, is not gospel. Having said that I would also feel comfortable in considering this piece period original, the obverse details and general construction of the buckle seem good to my eyes (never owning or handling one mind you) it also exhibits genuine wear and aging IMO. Plus too if it did indeed come from the same place as the other items you ve shared that have all been vetted as good, it stands to reason that this piece too is ok, not that fake items haven t been found in veterans collections as we all know they have. Lastly I would not reference this buckle as being attributed to AH or any other TR personality. Without ROCK SOLID provenance no one could and or would consider this as a legitimate piece of any one particular persons wardrobe. I'm not trying to be facetious. I would just consider it a SA leaders buckle and leave it at that. Wim may perhaps have a period catalogue image amongst his collection of bits and bobs that could sort this out rather quickly but his contribution is of course voluntary. Best regards.

Brian

Thank you for the response.
    Just so we are clear, I am NOT saying the buckle is attributed to AH or any other figure for that matter.
    Just posing the question as to whether it could be an SA or the same type as worn by AH.
    Thank you for your response.
    Everything you said in your post makes perfect sense to me.
    I am extremely confident that this is an original WWII piece.
    Like you mentioned, I got it from the same vet's son and everything else panned out as original.
    Thank you again

Anton

An enigma of a buckle and one maybe worthy of research. There are mistakes in all the books, Angolia, Nash, Evans all have mistakes. I would like to see more evidence, more buckles, references in original makers catalogues. Hopefully this is a ultra rare one of buckle. Still for me I am sceptical but I really hope it turns out to be a good original buckle, something we can all learn from
    Ben