Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

An SA not for the fainthearted

Article about: Here is what I consider to be an interesting SA which I recently bought from a well known German dealer. Definitely not one for the fainthearted! The nickel silver roundel is a well known de

Default An SA not for the fainthearted

Here is what I consider to be an interesting SA which I recently bought from a well known German dealer.

Definitely not one for the fainthearted!

The nickel silver roundel is a well known design, however what a peculiar brass box.

The brass box is "Imperial" in era and as we have seen so many times before, has been reutilised to facilitate an SA roundel. No ears to the box and a spindle type of pin and claw arrangement, with the two tiny solder receiving holes as "faux". The roundel has been attached to the box by silver solder on a surface to surface principle, being the Super Glue of the day.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An SA not for the fainthearted
    P
    Many

Reverse

Very nice and interesting buckle David. Do you think this could be an early SA as to them using an imperial box or just making use of left over obsolete buckles?
    Ben

Production quota IMO. The combination of the box and the roundel have no special significance during the early SA period. I dont collect these..and these are just my thoughts.

I see this practice also with Late daggers using early to Mid period fittings. Cant say for sure if it was a quota..or a Vet put together..... but the construction and assembly on some of them appear to be done during the period.

Is the solder period material? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thankyou for your comment chaps and which are greatly appreciated.

My thoughts are that this buckle is a "do it yourself" assembly, however whether this was done pre 1945 or post 1945, is really any persons guess.

This is and in my opinion not a usual "Kampfzeit" roundel and which of course is known by many collectors as the Assmann SA, albeit usually encountered with a mobile swastika. The catalogue number 19015 does however indicate a very early production date.

The roundel was more than likely produced by Assmann and somebody as probably an individual, at some time has silver soldered it to an available Imperial brass box. Whether Assmann sold these roundels to small manufacturers for their own assembly, I just do not know. We are looking at the second half of the 1920's here and it is more than likely that Assmann like any other company was desperate to generate income in any shape or form.

The roundel is known on a more traditional brass box though.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Reverse

With the buckle in hand David, does the solder look new, does it have age to it? IMO this is an early piece
    Ben

Hello,

an nickel silver Assmann roundel yes ........

A imperial good box ........

But the solder points can not please me .

Who knows , when it put together ?
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

Dear Ben

I understand and fully appreciate your suggestion, however perhaps and with all due respect a slightly misleading rule of thumb that you are applying. I hold SA buckles and actually other buckles where the solder spots are bright, shiny and displaying as if they were applied yesterday. Having said that, I see other solder points which look like the proverbial Black Hole of Calcutta. I suppose that is was all down to the solder composition, flux et al.

Dear Markus

The solder spots on the reverse of the buckle are actually holes. No visible means of support as they say and instead, the cavities hold residual substances which are probably related to Old Skool cleaning goo. The roundel is attached to the brass box with the surface to surface application of silver solder.

Regards and best wishes,

David