Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Two rare S.A.'s with DRGM "steel backs".

Article about: Here are images of what I think are two very rare and very unusual SA buckles. Both have the very strange feature of quite different steel backing plates, complete with the puzzling stamping

Default Two rare S.A.'s with DRGM "steel backs".

Here are images of what I think are two very rare and very unusual SA buckles.

Both have the very strange feature of quite different steel backing plates, complete with the puzzling stamping of D.R.G.M.

The first buckle does not appear in any of the reference works and the design of the eagle and swastika are quite new to me. I am sure that fellow members who collect Wehrmacht buckles will recognise this method of back plate construction.

The second buckle has a design that I am familiar with and I have attached two other and more traditional SA's for comparison. Again, a steel back plate that is stamped D.R.G.M., however also, STABL or STABH? Does anyone know what this means?

The first buckle is however and in my opinion, the most important of the two due to the otherwise non documented design of eagle and swastika.

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two rare S.A.'s with DRGM "steel backs".
    P
    Many

Default Re: Two rare S.A.'s with DRGM "steel backs".

Very unusual. The first eagle is very unpigeon-like. Is the buckle steel throughout? As for the second DRGM example, the name above it seems to be STABIL, which was a German company making Meccano-like toys from 1910 through the '30s. No giant step to begin making buckles for the military as a sideline---some of the tin toy makers in WWI turned out metal-version Pickelhauben.
    See this link:
    Stabil Construction System - Girders & Gears
    Cheers

Hi David, incredible buckles and all a first for me. I have seen early Luftewaffe and Heer buckles with this plate design, would be intriguing to know the maker of these.
    Ben

shinyemon - thankyou for the quite fascinating piece of information and link about STABIL.

The first buckle is very special (for an SA buckle) in my opinion and it would appear to be a die stamped heavy copper brass alloy, which has then been nickle plated. The back plate however is black painted steel.

As far as the second buckle is concerned, I think that there is a higher chance that STABIL provided the steel back plate, rather than being the actual manufacturer of the buckle.

They are of course different styles of back plates, however I wonder why both are stamped D.R.G.M. Both coming from the STABIL factory perhaps?

Regards,

David

Very interesting thread. A new one on me too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

David

Fascinating buckles - I do so love these odd constructions! I've seen the STABIL back plate reinforcement before. That they both have the D.R.G.M. mark just signifies that the "inventor" took the trouble of registering a "Gebrauchsmuster" for the innovative construction. Thank you very much for showing.

Best regards
    Karl

David,

Super buckles and as mentioned #1 is similar to some early? luft and Wehrmacht buckles. My question is Why?? What advantage does this type of construction have over the other many options available? Why steel instead of another metal? That said these are both extremely rare variations. The first that I have ever seen.
    Congrats and thanks for showing.

Bill