Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Estonian SS Buckle

Article about: by Paul E Buckles such as this were worn in wartime by Estonian volunteers who quite often denazified their buckles by erasing the Swastika as they were fighting for Estonia not the Nazis !!

Default Re: Estonian SS Buckle

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Buckles such as this were worn in wartime by Estonian volunteers who quite often denazified their buckles by erasing the Swastika as they were fighting for Estonia not the Nazis !!l
    Altering uniform or any of its components was not tolerated and greatly punished. Forget the "period" aleration (except if made during prison life - if any when caught by Russians with an SS uniform...)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estonian SS Buckle
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Jean Pierre Redeuilh View Post
    Altering uniform or any of its components was not tolerated and greatly punished. Forget the "period" aleration (except if made during prison life - if any when caught by Russians with an SS uniform...)
    Really !! So no uniform or kit was ever altered when the troops were out of the barracks and into the field ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Really !! So no uniform or kit was ever altered when the troops were out of the barracks and into the field ?
    I am not talking about alteration for the purpose of repair or to temporary increase the uniform or its components efficiency but definitive alteration for unique personnal reason.
    Each uniform component is considered as a rental and should be re-used by someone else if needed. As an example, a buckle can be sprayed pink as long it could be sprayed back in an other regulation color. But in your case the buckle is totally destroyed and cannot be reissued back in its original condition to anybody else. Got the difference ?

Whoever the "reputable" dealer can be, he sold you a buckle which was NOT modified in field. It could have been modified either during jail time (POW camp) or after war.

?

After serving 6 years in the Brirtish Army yes i have " Got the difference ".

I have never said that the buckle came from a dealer or that i have any knowledge whether it was altered during war time , pow time or post war.

What i do know is that just because rules and regulations stated that a piece of kit should not be altered troops do not necessary follow those rules once in the field and to a certain extent a freedom of choice is tolerated, with much kit never ever seeing the stores again to be reissued.

Rules and regulations like that only apply to REMFS and Barrack room soldiers.

In this case this was a practice carried out by Estonian SS Volunteers but when this was done to this particular buckle who knows !

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

In this case this was a practice carried out by Estonian SS Volunteers
    So we should be able to have other examples recorded. Unfortunately there is none (on SS buckles).

?

I Have been to Estonia and spoken with Estonian SS Veterans about many things including this issue , i'm not saying that this "E" design was commonly done but the de nazification of buckles was a relativley common practice amonst them.

As i have stated quite a few times now i'm not saying that this buckle was altered in wartime but the practice amongst Estonian Waffen SS of altering the buckles did go on.

I'll post another couple of examples.

regards

Paul
    Last edited by Paul D; 09-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.

1st July 1916

?

Estonian SS BuckleEstonian SS Buckle

Another 2 SS Buckles from Estonia

1st July 1916

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    It is a quite strange question, political, but seems that runes skull and SS eagle was good for them. I know that a lot of Estonians did made modifications in the war time, and I suspect that someone will brake a nice buckle nowadays, that it at least very stupid. Even the originaly added sign, strongly disvalued original buckle.
    I did seen, and have a great selection of the trench art buckles, but I firstly need to find them all, there not only Estonian converted items, and truely some examples are very impressive and nice
    Dimas has much more experience than me regarding this and in his above reply he does state that a lot of Estonians made modifications during wartime !!

1st July 1916

Estonian SS BuckleEstonian SS BuckleOut of Sherbrooke (Québec - Canada) POW Camp. No Estonian ever been there. Just a jail practice or no buckle to wear in camp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2