Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-

Article about: Hi. I bought a very nice ss belt and buckle at a german auction a while back. Its not marked in a standard way (furtunately i paid a very small amount). Uploadeing a picture so you can see i

Default I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-

Hi.

I bought a very nice ss belt and buckle at a german auction a while back. Its not marked in a standard way (furtunately i paid a very small amount). Uploadeing a picture so you can see if im right . Btw the belt is not old but the markings i would like to know about.

Thanks

Erik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-   I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-
    P
    Many

Sorry to say it is a old 1970's fake out of England the OLT was meant to stand for OLC (Overhoff) and legimate maker of buckles but the OLT was the fakers name Oliver L Tillman so rumor goes. I was impaled on a steel one just like it and a Aluminum version in the 1970 from good old Globe Militaria who sold a ton of them. timothy

I think you are right!...

Hi Erik, welcome to the forum!

Timothy is partly correct. I knew the faker who made these. His name was Tony Oliver. I asked him about the number on the buckle. It was his phone number! He passed away a few years ago. He had a nice German vehicle collection and many of his vehicles were used in the film "The Battle of Britain".

ANY SS item with SS runes in a diamond is FAKE.

40 years on these buckles continue to fool people. There have even been fakes made of this fake.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Adrian, you are right. It was indeed Tony's phone-number. This is what always
    was said. But if that actually is correct? We can't ask him (Tony Oliver) anymore!

Added information: the number upon the buckle is not the same as the phone-
    number at the reverse of the cigarette-cards from post 7. Maybe his number
    was once changed?

Those who know the series with drawings, the booklets from Rudolf Kahl
    "Uniforms and Badges of the Third Reich", published in the 1970's by
    Military Collectors Service. These books came into being due to the efforts
    of Tony Oliver and Frank van Gelder from the Netherlands. They took
    care for the material Kahl made drawings from. I do have quite a number
    of copies from drawings from a volume (IV), which never was published.

Here one of the plates from the German Red Cross:

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 06-16-2015 at 12:30 PM.

I am showing my age here, however I encountered this buckle when it was first circulated. That was at the Leeds Arms Fair when it was held at the Town Hall and believe it or not, the fair was officially opened by the Lord Mayor complete with his mayoral robes and chain. Those were the days!

What I wanted to mention is that I do not think that this buckle was produced by Tony as a fake meant to deceive and instead, it was simply a film prop or similar. The problem of course is that we are talking about the 1970's and since then, what I have mentioned has been totally forgotten.

As Wilhelm has quite rightly confirmed, Tony was also involved with publishing and there is a well known series of uniform related cigarette cards which he commissioned. The theatrically etched blade K98 combat bayonets, modified army sabres and refurbished post war helmets to name but three were the work of Tony, however and as previously mentioned, nothing was ever produced to deceive.

Regards,

David

Hello David and others,

I totally forgot about the cigarette cards. You reminded me at them, David.
    He spread them, but not to deceive as one would not put his name and
    address at the reverse.

See for yourself (and see also post 5):

I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc- I have a strong suspicion that this is fake, wrong numbers etc-

?

My first SS buckle was an OLT steel fake! The dealers told me it was real and the way you could tell was by the SS runes in the diamond! I was just a teenager and didn't know any better. I paid $35 for it which was a lot of money in the mid-seventies. To this day, I still won't buy anything from that dealer...

SS in diamond always a no no.

Thanks for the information fellows as here in the states I am sure the story got mixed up and it was long ago when these came to light just a side note I asked the dealer of Globe where he got them and he said in a box from Germany obviously not the case anyway the company that sold me a few has been long out of business and the owner has since passed away also it is interesting to see these still come up. timothy